X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying fret buzz.

Just a quickie, I've got fret buzz on every fret on the low E string and to a lesser extent the A string. I have just changed to a lower gauge of strings so I understand I probably have to adjust the truss rod, the neck does look a little too flat. Before I mess around with that though I just wanted to check it couldn't be something else. I have a recording here of all frets plus a quick riff which might help.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/57goli0zq8vk8ae/Voice%20006.mp3

With the string touching the first and last fret set the gap to .010" (0.25 mm)at the 8th fret should be good enough. You can adjust it down a bit  if you have a flatter radius neck.

Comment

If it's on every fret it's either a neck relief or saddle height problem.

Since you just went to lighter strings the neck probably has less relief than it did before. Sounds like a truss rod adjustment is probably the right thing to do.

Comment

Tune up all the strings a step or two and give the neck time(5-20min.) to adjust. If buzz goes away the truss-rod probably needs loosening a tiny bit..

Comment

intothevoid wrote:

Just a quickie, I've got fret buzz on every fret on the low E string and to a lesser extent the A string. I have just changed to a lower gauge of strings so I understand I probably have to adjust the truss rod, the neck does look a little too flat. Before I mess around with that though I just wanted to check it couldn't be something else. I have a recording here of all frets plus a quick riff which might help.

intothevoid,

I enjoy playing Jazz and I have a very mild attack.  My neck radious is approx. 16 degrees and my action is extremely low.  Obviously, other than quietly comping I'm not strumming a whole lot.  Anyway, when I start hearing a fret buss, almost always the G string first, it's time for me to change strings.  Even if you just changed strings they could have been in the package a long time.  Good Luck!

Don't buy a gemstone guitar pick. They're like your favorite snack; you can't stop with just one.

Comment

• knotty
            knotty commented
            Editing a comment

JoeJazz wrote:

intothevoid wrote:

intothevoid,

I enjoy playing Jazz and I have a very mild attack.  My neck radious is approx. 16 degrees and my action is extremely low.  Obviously, other than quietly comping I'm not strumming a whole lot.  Anyway, when I start hearing a fret buss, almost always the G string first, it's time for me to change strings.  Even if you just changed strings they could have been in the package a long time.  Good Luck!

Never heard that before.

Working...
        X