Cheap pickups.

intothevoid

• Members

Just wanted to know what everyone thinks are the better of the "cheap pickups". The most well known would be GFS. I've heard they can be a bit hit or miss, but the good ones are meant to rival seymour duncans. I've also heard good things about wilkinson; in fact I'm thinking of putting a set of those in my Jackson Performer.

• Members

I've used Kent Armstrong pickups with good results, kinda mid-range priced.

I'd just buy used, it'll work out the same.  People are always parting with pickups for a lot less than new.  What pickups are you thinking of?  You could get most Duncans or Dimarzio's used for the same price as new GFS's.

• Members

I'll have to check out Dragonfire.

I was looking at these wilkinsons: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261150745982?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

For that price I'm almost considering just going for it and if I don't like it too bad haha. I'm looking to play a lot of trash metal with this guitar. For example I really like the tone in these songs: 

and 

• Members

There's a company called Tonerider that makes some FANTASTIC moderately priced Telecaster pickups. I thought they sounded just as good as Lindy Fralin Blues Specials. The ones I tried were the "Vintage Plus" ones. Really nice components like cloth covered wires and quality alloys.

They make P90, strat single coil and humbucker sets in various designs. I only had experience with the Telecaster ones but they were fantastic.

They run something like $80 to $100 a set depending on the type.

• Members

intothevoid wrote:

Just wanted to know what everyone thinks are the better of the "cheap pickups". The most well known would be GFS. I've heard they can be a bit hit or miss, but the good ones are meant to rival seymour duncans. I've also heard good things about wilkinson; in fact I'm thinking of putting a set of those in my
Jackson Performer

The truth is, your Performer is a Japan-made model, and its pickups are pretty good.

Probably a lot better than the brands you are looking at.

• Members

harold heckuba wrote:

intothevoid wrote:

Just wanted to know what everyone thinks are the better of the "cheap pickups". The most well known would be GFS. I've heard they can be a bit hit or miss, but the good ones are meant to rival seymour duncans. I've also heard good things about wilkinson; in fact I'm thinking of putting a set of those in my
Jackson Performer

The truth is, your Performer is a Japan-made model, and its pickups are pretty good.

Probably a lot better than the brands you are looking at.

Haha I had thought of that. At the moment it has only been played through a cheap practice amp. I have a 30w Valve amp sitting at my parents place which I will be picking up this weekend which will be a much better test of how good the pickups are. I'll probably end up leaving them in after playing through that. Still it's awesome to hear about all these different pickups I had never heard of before.

Archived