Dragonfire is the new GFS.

honeyiscool

• Members

So I've been buying a lot of stuff from Dragonfire lately, and I have to say, they have some really quality products. Their prewired pickguards are amazing, since they let you choose the color of the pickguard and hardware. I used one of their Superstrat kits to wire my daphne blue Strat, and that has been a winner so far. The sealed blade and toggle switches they have are some of the best I've ever used, and they are very springy and smooth and quiet. I much prefer them to the vintage style switches.

Also, the main thing they have over GFS, IMO, is that Dragonfire stuff is actually inexpensive. GFS has a reputation for affordable but it's really not that cheap these days. The only problem is that the Dragonfire site sucks a little bit and it's hard to find what you need sometimes.

http://www.dragonfireguitars.com

I've used their Screamer humbuckers in two guitars now. There is not a better deal for good humbuckers on the market, IMO. $30 for two chrome splittable humbuckers that actually sound good? Sheesh. I'm not sure I prefer them over the Custom/Jazz combo, but the Custom/Jazz cost five times as much and don't sound five times better, that's for sure. The truth is, I don't feel like I'm compromising anything by sticking Screamers in any guitar of mine.

There are also EMG and Clapton soundalikes in the pre-wired section. I don't know if I would use those but there are Youtube clips and they sound OK to me.

Their H90 style pickups look exactly the same as the Warmans I imported from the UK. And if that's the case, surely they're good sounding.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So I've been buying a lot of stuff from Dragonfire lately, and I have to say, they have some really quality products. Their prewired pickguards are amazing, since they let you choose the color of the pickguard and hardware. I used one of their Superstrat kits to wire my daphne blue Strat, and that has been a winner so far. The sealed blade and toggle switches they have are some of the best I've ever used, and they are very springy and smooth and quiet. I much prefer them to the vintage style switches.

Also, the main thing they have over GFS, IMO, is that Dragonfire stuff is actually inexpensive. GFS has a reputation for affordable but it's really not that cheap these days. The only problem is that the Dragonfire site sucks a little bit and it's hard to find what you need sometimes.

I've used their Screamer humbuckers in two guitars now. There is not a better deal for good humbuckers on the market, IMO. $30 for two chrome splittable humbuckers that actually sound good? Sheesh. I'm not sure I prefer them over the Custom/Jazz combo, but the Custom/Jazz cost five times as much and don't sound five times better, that's for sure. The truth is, I don't feel like I'm compromising anything by sticking Screamers in any guitar of mine.

There are also EMG and Clapton soundalikes in the pre-wired section. I don't know if I would use those but there are Youtube clips and they sound OK to me.

Their H90 style pickups look exactly the same as the Warmans I imported from the UK. And if that's the case, surely they're good sounding.

You know your Strat stuff for sure. What do you make of this?

http://www.dragonfireguitars.com/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=397

Worth ordering and removing the pups that come with and substituting my CS 69 set?

• Members

I don't know how that would work with real single coils. They're really meant for noiseless pickups, aren't they? I don't know.

That said, I like that hefty switch they use on those things.

Their basic humbuckers, P90s, and single coils are easily 1/2 the price of GFS.

Thanks. I'm going to give it some thought. Sure is tempting.

• Members

They are a good vendor. Was guitarpartsonline.com for years. Same url works in either dragonfire or gparts online. Actually these guys were around before GFS turned up on eBay. I have a set of their HB sized P90s. Good stuff for the money. They have a line of guitars that come and go also. If only Nelsonic would come back. They were the Soupe du jour when I first joined this forum.

• Members

Isn't this the same outfit that used to be TNT Guitars? I bought 2 of those 24 fret Jackson reversed headstock maple boarded style necks but the crap was all screwed up dinged and scraped. I called the guy and I forget whether his name was Ted or Tim but he said he didn't have anymore but would be getting some and would replace the necks but then dropped the ball and came up with an excuse that they never got any more in sorry kind of BS. I'm still stuck with these things. I don't think they were particularly cheap either maybe Mighty Mite priced like $99 a neck or so, I forget as it was a few years ago.

Then recently I inquired about the creme screamers as the picture clearly shows black hex head screws and I even went in photoshop and you can see they aren;t refections off the slugs and that is the ONLY color it shows this anomoly. I told him he should take that pic down as I would be pissed if I bought it on account of expecting creme with black hex poles and instead getting chrome slugs. The pic is still up sort of confusing for the customer I will stop short of saying misleading.

Meh, tomato tamoto. Same {censored}, different smell for the most part. However, the dragonfire necks are WAY better than the GFS ones and I'm quite happy with my tele harness from them. The guy that runs it is a
DICK
though.

• Members

I have some dragonfire rails humbuckers and they sound exactly the same as the gfs power rails, and I got 2 of the dragonfires for the price of not even 1 of the gfs power rails..

I really want to grab a set of their humbucker sized p90's..

• Members

It's been a while since I bought any guitar parts on eBay, but I have had good experiences with Dragonfire. I also gotta give a shout out to TOG (Tricked Out Guitars). There's another that's name escapes me, but my experience is that each seller would have their strengths.

• Members

I put a set of their Dragonfire Screamers in a double humbucker guitar i have, it was a nice upgrade. And their wiring harnesses make changing out the electronics in a guitar a breeze.

I didn't know they had rail humbuckers. I installed a hum-sing-sing wiring harness in a guitar, but I got a GFS Power Rails to replace the bridge pickup in it.

Archived