I Think I Like This Guitar. Do I Lose All Cred Now?

kayd_mon

• Members

Well, first off it's a Les Paul. Not just a Les Paul, but a flattop LP Special, by the looks of it, and I dig flattop LP Specials. Then, it's sparkly red, which I think is kinda cool. I can't tell if it's a flake finish (like the older Orianthi SE sig which I totally want) or rhinestones or whatever, but the sparkles make for a cool stage guitar. Then there's the darker red graphics, which are cool (though I must admit, I can't make out what the graphics are.. They could be terrible, but I like the look of them from a distance). Totally cool stage guitar, is what I say.

• Members

cfrago wrote:

of course you all know that is Taylor Swift.

I did not.  I can't really say that I can recognize her.  Of course, I can recognize some ladies a lot of guys here cannot.

Like Valerie June ...

ValerieJune.jpg

Tegan and Sara ...

TeganandSara.jpg

or Annie "St. Vincent" Clark ...

stvincent.jpg

• Members

I like the guitar.

I like Taylor as a person. She is well spoken, seems fairly intelligent, and definetly cute.....not hot....but cute.

I don't care for any of her music though.

I have no problem with her success. I can't think of her as a "songwriter" in the same way I think of, say, Paul McCartney..... but if her simple songs about John Mayer being a dooche makes teeniebopper girls dish out millions, so be it.

• Members

The thing that bugs me about Taylor herself is that if she's singing live, all you hear are the backup singers behind her. I actually tried to google this guitar to get a better pic of it, and came across I think the Daily Mail that had a video of this guitar being played by her in concert, and her lead guitarist in her band has the same model, sparkles and all. Anyway, her rhythm playing is practically muted (though she has the hair flips down pat) and the vocals were all backup singers - she even backed off the mic in the clip, and it didn't matter. If I was a fan of hers, I'd feel cheated.

On the songwriting thing, here's my take. She's credited as country, but she's played on pop radio. I have only heard her on pop radio, and have therefore never heard a twangy instrument in one of her songs (maybe I've just heard remixes, but whatever). Country artists traditionally sing songs written by songwriters, and that's fine. She's "country" so she can do that. Pop artists also sing songs written by songwriters, but they often write a line or two of lyrics, and then act like they wrote the whole song. So that's why Taylor gets the hoopla about her writing. It's a pop thing. Oh yes, and there's also the Diet Coke commercial (does anyone else want to punch her kindergarten teacher for allowing her such terrible writing grip???)

• Members

kayd\_mon wrote:

Woah she looks weird there. One of the hottest Vs ever, though.

Yeah, the guitar is more recognizable than she is here, but I thought it the best pic of the sig in action, and yes, it is the only V that turns my head with regularity.

Can you find more attractive pictures of Grace Potter - no question; but the V is usually harder to see in other shots...and that rationale is just more evidence that I hang out on a guitar forum too much...

Body

Archived