No announcement yet.

Split humbuckers

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split humbuckers

What's the forums view of coil splits on humbucker guitars. I've done 4 over the past few months, three on Ltd 256s.

On all occasions the owners were looking to upgrade their stock pickups and in all honesty the G&Bs in the Ltd, which I understand is also what comes in most PRS SE models are very decent.

Out of all the replacemenst the ones that really rocked me were the Tonerider Rocksongs, simply glorious bridge sounds through my little workshop Laney Cub 12R, but all were underwhelming whne it came to the coil splits.

On teh Ltd EC-256 they use a push-pull on the master tone and it's a 250K pot, and its fine with the buckers but when engaged, just sounds a but muffled and ordinary.

Anybody LOVE any particular pickup split or anybody concur with my findings?

Thoughts

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato

As an aside, the Ltd EC-256 is just f

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato

Comment

• thewthrman
      thewthrman commented
      Editing a comment

The only aftermarket pickup that I thought sounded anything like a dedicated single coil pickup when it was split was a duncan invader I used in a top-40 band in the 80s.  I guess a regular humbucker's individual coils are smaller than a regular single coil pickup.  When you split them, they don't sound like I thought they would.  I thought the invader sounded like crap as a humbucker, but when i split it, it sounded OK. 

I have two split guitars. My Schecter C1-EX baritone has a Duncan

Comment

• Ratae Corieltauvorum
      Editing a comment

jpnyc wrote:

I have two split guitars. My Schecter C1-EX baritone has a Duncan

I put a coil split on a JB of mine once, but reversed it soon after. Too much of a volume drop.

I play SGs at shops a lot, and newer Gibsons have coil splits on them. I think that they sound good in split mode, but still there's the volume drop.
    Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

• P. Hubbs
      P. Hubbs commented
      Editing a comment

I like to split my humbuckers. But I seldom use them split alone, but often use two pickups with one split. It gives an airy and jangly tone useful for chords. Here

I had a 335 with split '57s.  I didn't care for the split sound.  I currently have a Fender Showmaster with split Fender's Atomic II in the bridge and Santa Ana in the neck.  I love the Santa Ana... I can get an almost acoustic tone.  The split Atomic is very thin, out of phase sounding, and I find little use for it.

Please visit my website www.treeguitarworks.com

Comment

• Danhedonia
      Danhedonia commented
      Editing a comment
      Out of curiosity, how and why are you seeing so many of the same models and mods?

The dimarzio AT1, Dsonic, and Norton, all sound really good in split modes.. I like the dsonic's split mode a lot.. THe At1 I can pull out some country'esque sounds when its split.. imo

Comment

• guitarcapo
      guitarcapo commented
      Editing a comment

I sometimes will add a split feature to a neck humbucker to brighten it up....Not so much with the bridge.

Humbuckers with one coil wound hotter are nicer to do this with....Like Burstbuckers, Fralin Unbuckers, SD Pearly Gates. They also have a touch more single coil character with both coils activated which is nice.

Dimarzio SD pickups sound good split, pretty strat-like.

Comment

Working...
    X