Series wiring for a strat

stormin1155

• Members

The 4-way switch with series wiring for teles is a popular mod, but you don't see many strats with series wiring.  So I thought I try it out on one of mine.  Below is the wiring diagram I followed using a push-pull switch on the second tone control.  Pushed in, everything stock.  Pulled out the bridge and middle run in series, position 2 and 3 are just the middle, and 4 and 5 are stock.  I chose the bridge/middle because I wanted to retain the hum-canceling feature, which wouldn't be there if I chose neck/bridge.

Results?  Well it really fattens up the sound.  A bit dark sounding... kind of like if you used a 250K pot on a humbucker (which is essentially what you have). Darker sounding than the position 4 on a tele... not sure what would cause the difference other than the pickups in the strat are fairly hot for singles (Benson handwound Texas specials).  But still a very usable tone.

Anyway, I thought I'd pass along this information... it is a very easy and cheap mod that adds a very different sound to the strat's palate.

StratSeriesSwitch\_zpsf5aad6ab.jpg

Archived