Big props to Rob from Valvetech

warriorpoet

• Members

The other day I posted pictures from the inside of my Valvetech VAC25.  Love the amp.  The reason I had it open is channel 1 stopped working.

Rob (Valvetech's owner, amp designer, etc.) returned my voicemail in person to troubleshoot it, and we eliminated several issues over the phone.  When we couldn't fix the amp over the phone, Rob offered to repair it at his shop and upgrade to his current specs free.  He offered to send the parts as a quicker alternative (2 combo caps and a metal film cap), and I accepted.  He refused payment.

The issue turned out to be a bad cap (it happens), and was rectified within 10 minutes of firing up my soldering station.

Several things stand out to me:

1. Rob's an independent amp builder who answers his own phone, and actually troubleshot over the phone well after sale.

2. Rob's familiar enough with his circuit to correctly identify an issue without hands-on time or measurements.

3. Rob is still tweaking his circuit after at least 4 years on the market, and offering regular upgrades to his customers free of charge.

4. Rob trusted his customer enough to send parts for a repair (for free).  This is highly unusual, in my experience.

I loved this amp the first time I plugged in, and every time since.  It's a uniquely flexible and sensitive musical tool that gets regular, and extended, use.  Rob's customer service is, if anything, even better than the amp itself, and that's something worth appreciating.

• Members

I haven't had to do much to my Hayseed 30, but the couple of times I've contacted Rob with questions, he's been very prompt and helpful. He sets the standard for what boutique service should be like. IMO, it's so worth the slight increase in price over a comarable AC30.

• Members

That's fine but the fact that he wants $1300 for an amp that you can't even get a single detailed picture of on the wide world of the Internets is a bit extreme. I'm sure I can email the guy, but I'd rather get some information up front. I'm not talking about a great website. I'm talking about, how about just a simple detailed description of each amp for sale?

Superluxe is the amp in question btw.

• 7 months later...
  • Members

honeyiscool wrote:

That's fine but the fact that he wants $1300 for an amp that you can't even get a single detailed picture of on the wide world of the Internets is a bit extreme. I'm sure I can email the guy, but I'd rather get some information up front. I'm not talking about a great website. I'm talking about, how about just a simple detailed description of each amp for sale?

Superluxe is the amp in question btw.

Hey honey,

Sorry to necro your thread, but I just saw it today.

If you want a full walkthrough of all of his amps, the features and controls, etc.  Rob is a phone call away.  I did, in all honesty, spend a serious amount of time Googling his product before I made the jump, but I have to say this is easily the best, most dynamic amp I've ever played.  Given the discount over comparable boutique builders, Rob's amps aren't THAT big of a financial faith-leap, and the personal service is beyond compare.

I hope you found the answers to all of your questions since February, but if you're still considering, you owe yourself a phone call to the man behind the amp.

Archived