Kurt Cobain in Guitar World

kayd_mon

• Members

Oh yes, I have his issue of Guitar Legends. I've also chatted a little with the guy who runs the site dedicated to Kurt's gear (Which, in retrospect, is a joke). I think gear came at the end of a long list of priorities for Kurt.

However, there are people who buy Mustangs because of him, and beat-up Univoxs as well. Most usually draw the line at the solid-state amps he sometimes used, though.

I often wonder if Kurt was consciously staying away from outlandish solos to distance himself from the trends he grew up with. He apparently practiced six hours a day for a few years, so I can't imagine he was always strumming chords off-stage.

But, he never wanted to be a guitar hero, so I don't think he can be blamed for being on a top-100 list from Rolling Stone or Guitar World. Influence is influence, and Kurt definitely changed more lives than Al Di Meola (Who I love).

• Members

Funny interview. I admire Cobain a lot. He made a helluva statement in a fairly short career, and (for better or for worse) changed rock music massively.

I noticed recently that there's a Kurt Cobaine signature guitar out. That's funny to me because it seems like something he never would've played himself - a pricey, foo-foo guitar that costs more because it has his name it.

• Members

I miss the music of the 90's era of rock.  Especially the early grunge scene...  It (at least in the beginning) was free from all the slick marketing, glitz and glam of the music industry.  Just great rock, played by normal looking (for the most part) people.  Now, it's all about looks again...and digitized vocals.

• Members

Nevermind was the first cassette that I ever owned. I literally wore it out until "Something In The Way" and "In Bloom" were nearly indistinguishable. I have always thought that Kurt Cobain was able to capture some really unique sounds from his rig at just the right moments, particularly in the studio. When I read about his attitude toward his gear, and compare it to the elitist attitude that I see so often among guitarists, I am taken aback that we are so infatuated with designer amplifiers and custom guitars, and we call ourselves 'toneheads'.

But when I remember Kurt and the garbage he called his rig, it really inspires me to focus more on creating an original sound rather than using tailored amps, pedals, pickups, etc. to achieve tones that we have all heard again and again. Kudos to Kurt for being a trailblazer, and being a true artist. Makes me want to go get an old beat up Harmony and plug it into a karaoke machine or something...

• Members

If I am not mistaken, he used a Boss DS-2 around In Utero, which has a DS-1 mode and then a mid/gain boosted mode. I have one, and I read sometime after buying it that it was used by Kurt.

You can get Nirvana type tones with it, but you can also use a Big Muff to sound Nirvana-ish.

Archived