Poll: Brian May or David Gilmour?

DaveAronow

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Who is your choice?

After thinking about it for a moment, Gilmour has some of my alltime favorite solos ever written, even more so than the craploads of cool stuuf that I like from May.

And I could even just use only three or four Gilmour solos to make that determination.

Solos from songs like Time, and Comfortably numb, are some of the greatest masterpieses ever played on a guitar.

May has a TON of awesome signature solos, riffs, tones, etc, but the soulful, mesmerizing playing of Gilmour, does something really deep to my soul that May doesnt seem to get into quite as deeply.

HOWEVER, I pick Brian May in the end over Gilmour, because I find myself in the mood to listen to Queen more often than Pink Floyd, although not by much, the tiniest amount actually, and this is why I thought this would make a good poll.

Or....... I could have just simply said Brian May, and saved you from all this.:freak:

• Members

Wow. This is more lopsided than I was expecting so far, although, I really should have known better.

Gilmour is just about the perfect guitarist, so it would be hard to unseat him.

Perhaps I should have put him against Hendrix, or SRV or someone.

Oh, well, that will be another poll for another day.

• Members

Love 'em both,both great guitarists, but I picked Brian May, simply because, whilst Floyd is amazing, amazing stuff, Queen is a hell of a lot more FUN ... They can be heavy, yet they can be whimsical (dag, I miss Freddie) .... Floyd is, well, floyd (...not that there'sanything wrong with that ;) )

• Members

Wow. This is more lopsided than I was expecting so far, although, I really should have known better.

Gilmour is just about the perfect guitarist, so it would be hard to unseat him.

Perhaps I should have put him against Hendrix, or SRV or someone.

Oh, well, that will be another poll for another day.

I think that poll would heavily favor Gilmour too. At least in my eyes it would.

Gilmour vs Page?

• Members

I think that poll would heavily favor Gilmour too. At least in my eyes it would.

Gilmour vs Page?

Based on what I have seen over the past year here on HCEG's favorites, Hendrix usually runs away with it, with Gilmour and SRV comming in at close seconds.

Page usually comes in a little further down the list due to alot of people's perception that he has been really sloppy throuought a large part of his career.

These may or may not reflect my personal opinions, but this is DEFIN ITELY a trend I have noticed here.

Here is the actuall OFFICIAL ranking order of guitarists based opn HCEG's opinions as of 1/28/2008......

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1871019

• Members

Gilmour is a very talented muscian, plus he doesn't have the silly hair or clogs - all points in his favour. Pink Floyd, alas, bore the tits off of me, so it would have to be Brian May by default. I'm not a huge Queen fan at all, but they made great fun music. Without Mercury I don't know that they'd have been half as appealing as they were. Not to denigrate the others' ability, but I suspect they wouldn't have had the same sense of fun about them.

I could well live without Bohemian Rhapsody, though - it's arguably even more overrated than Stairway, if not so much as Eruption.

• Members

WARNING: The statement I am about to make is purely personal opinion and in no way should it be construed as an invitation to tell me how stupid I am, to tell me that I have no taste in music or to insinuate that I'm not listening correctly.

i like may more. i really dig queen. i can not {censored}ing stand pink floyd. IN MY OPINION, floyd does not sound experimental (not that i ever claimed they were an experimental band but others have). it's just very dramatic. queen could be dramatic also (and when they were they were better at it the floyd) but they could also be fun, or heavy, or... you name it. queen were a much more well rounded band and since i like queen better than pink floyd i'm going with may.

Archived