Chromyte block in Howard Roberts Fusion Guitar

Monism

• Members

I'm looking at buying a 1998 Howard Roberts Fusion III. It's listed as having a "chromyte" center block in the body.

I thought the Fusion III's had a balsa wood block? Maybe chromyte is some some finishing procedure on the wood?

If anyone could tell me what chromyte is, I'd be glad to know. Thanks.

• Members

I have a 92 Les Paul Studio Lite that has the chromyte block in the center and its a great sounding guitar. After doing a bit of research about it, I read the balsa is actually considered a "tone wood" by guitar builders, but it is obviously too soft for the outside of the guitar.

• Members

I've played a Howard Roberts Fusion -97 for many years now. Its an extra/ordinary good model, for a decent price. The balsa wood for the toneblock was probably used to get a more hollow sound. The block is also floating, attached some few millimeters from the back, to reduce feedback. Still the guitar goes easily over to a singing controlled feedback. I'm quite happy with the Howard. The neck pickup sounds somewhat like an ES 175, with low overdrive. The bridge pickup can sound like a Les Paul, if one puts on a distorsion pedal.

Archived