Pickups for Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow?

MetalGuitar08

• Members

I just bought an Ibanez AS73, and I'm looking to replace the stock pickups. The bridge pickup is very bright, but the neck pickup isn't too bad. Does anyone have experience replacing the pickups in this (or a similar) guitar?

I've heard good things about the Seymour Duncan Seth Lover SH-55 in both positions, and I've heard some people like the Gibson 57 classic pickups. I have no experience with either, unfortunately.

As far as tone, I like to play rock/bluesy stuff, a la Trey Anastasio. Additionally, I'll be playing the Ibanez AS73 through a Mesa Lonestar 1x12" combo.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

• Members

I have a set of Seth Lovers in one guitar and a set of 57 Classics in another. I did a side by side comparison. There are subtle differences. But they aren't that different. I have Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAFs in my Ibanez AM93. They sound awesome. Different than the Lovers or the Classics. Some clearer highs out of the 36th. Don't rule out Dimarzio.

• Members

I put Gibson BurstBucker Pros in my Epi 339, nice pups. But if the stock options are too bright, you probably wouldn't want to go with them. I reviewed an AS73 over at FG and I thought the pickups were pretty darn good actually. Clear and responsive. It was a buddy's guitar and he ended up swapping them for Dimarzio 36th Anniv which were warmer by comparison, but I thought the neck was border line muddy and preferred the bite of the originals. He preferred the DiMarzios.

• Members

I put Gibson BurstBucker Pros in my Epi 339, nice pups. But if the stock options are too bright, you probably wouldn't want to go with them. I reviewed an AS73 over at FG and I thought the pickups were pretty darn good actually. Clear and responsive. It was a buddy's guitar and he ended up swapping them for Dimarzio 36th Anniv which were warmer by comparison, but I thought the neck was border line muddy and preferred the bite of the originals. He preferred the DiMarzios.

is it possible he needed to adjust the height on those pickups?

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Sorry ....I know I'm a little late to the party here but I hope you went with the Classic 57's. I put them in my AS73 and they make a world of difference. The stock ones are pretty good for what they are but not near what the '57's can do. What an upgrade! Didn't change wiring or pots either.

Archived