Extremely Dry Fretboard and Neck Wood

NateCordova

• Members

It's a lot easier and cheaper to put a coat of poly on the back than a re-fret.  That's a lot dough for a cheap guitar, are you sure you want to do that?

If you want easy and smooth, use tung oil, you wipe it on with a rag, couldn't be easier.  

The sides of the neck may be dyed, hard to say.  I'd be inclined to put a thin layer of tung oil on the board if it's that bad.

Google tung oil guitar neck for more.

• Members

I'd take a good long look at "why" the action is so terrible, particularly if the action is high but the bridge adjusted low. Also if you have a straight edge take it with you.

I'm not saying theres anything wrong but it can be hard to do a detatched appraisal in a busy shop.

Don't "own it" in your head* until you know why it has been put up for sale in a guitar shop in that badly set up state,

* easier said than done :)

• Members

It probably needs a good setup but beyond that don't use lemon oil. It damages nitro fnishes and can corrode frets and is generally to be avoided. Try mineral oil instead. Baby oil works fine since it's mineral oil anyway. That's what I used on my bass. Go over the fingerboard and frets with 0000 steel wool and then wipe the board down with a light coating of mineral oil. Wipe it dry with a soft clean cloth. As for the edges of the fingerboard, they may be painted. I've seen that before. Bear in mind that rosewood varies in color and yes, it may not be rosewood at all but a different wood.

Archived