Warning about Warmoth Mint Green

Ryan Trevisol

• Members

So you go to make a mint green pickguard for your guitar.

You order from Warmoth, and when you see the color sample on the website:

mint_black_mint.jpg

You think "the greenness must be overstated to differentiate it from the cream and white samples", and I'm SURE it'll be like true mint green and look like this on my black guitar:

04-04004-lg.jpg

Then it gets here, and it's EXACTLY like the color sample. This mint green is like grocery-store-brand mint ice cream color. It's not subtle. I hold it next to the allparts guard on my Jazzmaster, and it looks like a fungal toenail.

It's even worse than the mint guard in their gallery:

br_plickner_lrg.jpg

:facepalm:

/rant over. Anyone know where I can get good real mint green material?

• Members

Whoa- you mean it actually matches the sample on the website? Weird.

This is the picture of supposedly one of their mint guards in their own gallery:

br_plickner_lrg.jpg

This is a fender one (though it looks like the white balance in this photo is a little too warm:

as_mint_green_400.jpg

Then here's their color sample:

mint_black_mint.jpg

Here is a more subtle color sample from pickguards.us

43_mint_green.jpg

I can see how that could look real similar to a parchment, cream, or even white color depending on your monitor, so I figured either someone's at Warmoth's color balance is messed up on their monitor, or they exaggerated it to make it stand out from parchment.

But I'm not blaming them. I posted this for two reasons.

1. A PSA to anyone considering buying a Mint Green pickguard from Warmoth. YOU WILL BE DISAPPOINTED if you expect it to look like "normal" mint green".

2. To see if anyone knew where I could buy better Mint Green BLANKS for making your own pickguard.

I'll post a picture of the material next to real mint green when I get a chance; I'm moving this weekend and next, :eek:

• Members

What guitar does it fit???

I like bizarro funky things. I might want it:thu:

None yet, it's a blank. I'm going to practice on it to make this guard:

blackcoupe.png

If it comes out well, you can have it for $10 shipped, which is what i paid for the materials.

It might fit a Squier Cyclone.

• Members

That's to me is Surf Green, not mint.

My point exactly. I don't know of any guitar color that would look good on.

In fact, I found a pic of what I think might be the Warmoth Green:

MaxMuddyGrace.jpg

I think I'm gonna go with parchment instead anyway if I can. There seems to be too much variation with Mint.

• Members

Every monitor displays colors differently. He just got lucky and it matched up correctly.

I wouldn't call it lucky. ;) And I know this well (I'm a computer tech). In fact, the greeness of this sample JPG could EASILY be chalked up to the guy at Warmoth sitting in front of a computer with an old or poorly calibrated screen and trying to match this color to a pickguard that's sitting on his desk. If his monitor were miscalibrated, he could've had a normal sample of Mint green sitting there, and have made this gawdawful JPG, and it would've looked like it matched to him.

Anyway. I have emails in to Terrapin and pickguards.us to see if they will sell me blank material. I'll be a monkey's uncle if I'm going to pay WD $40 (more than terrapin charges for some completed guards) and up for a blank sheet of plastic. :rolleyes:

• Members

Anyway. I have emails in to Terrapin and pickguards.us to see if they will sell me blank material. I'll be a monkey's uncle if I'm going to pay WD $40 (more than terrapin charges for some completed guards) and up for a blank sheet of plastic.
:rolleyes:

You and your dad really should set up a business account with WD, the discount for shops is huge. If your emails prove fruitless and you don't want a WD account, you can PM me and I will order the blank from WD for you. Would cost around $26 shipped.

• Members

Thanks man! Do they require a minimum order? My dad and I plan on getting incorporated in the next few months for tax shelter purposes, and once we do, we'll be taking advantage of stuff like this.

I'll let you know what Terrapin says. I may just return it for a warmoth parchment. If they let me return the mint atrocity, it'll be $13 more plus shipping again. Thanks for the offer, and I might take you up on it. :)

• Members

No minimums, at least not that I'm aware of. I set up with them years ago, so I'm not sure if that is still the case. Free shipping over $199, and bigger discounts with the amount you spend on a monthly average. I used to make a decent amount selling parts and stuff directly out of an ebay store, but to be honest I don't know why they haven't canceled my account. In the past couple years I've done so little business with them that they should have.

Archived