Opinions on Blues Jr.

twotimingpete

• Members

I've been looking into a manageable amp, in size/weight and in volume, that has the fender cleans I'm looking for. Bedroom playing/recording, possibly band play at some point.

What do you guys think of it, and, in particular, this FSR with the beautiful tweed exterior and a jensen speaker?

DV016_Jpg_Large_483711_V.jpg

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/fender-hot-rod-series-blues-junior-nos-15w-1x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp

Does anyone know anything about this vintage jensen speaker setup, especially compared to the eminence speaker typically in blues jrs?

Or any other thoughts about the BJR would be nice.

• Members

My son plays one, as does my nephew.

Pretty decent amps and will get loud enough for a gig. My nephew never takes the Twin along anymore at all for shows.

Not terribly "Fender" sounding to me but they sound pretty good. Reverb gets nuts above 4 or 5 on the dial.

The master volume is nice to have if there's no dirt pedal around.

Seem to be pretty reliable. You could do a lot worse.

• Members

My old bass player had one (the original, black tolex one), and I used it a bit in the studio and for a couple of shows. Loud enough to play live, within reason. I thought it was a pretty cool little amp. I would also keep an eye out for a deal on a silverface Princeton Reverb, and I sometimes see really good deals on those Mesa Boogie Subway amps, both of which sound more "Fendery" to me.

• Members

I had one for a while, and I really loved it. Great natural overdrive, nice cleans, excellent reverb. I had an Eminence Legend GB12 in mine. I sold it during a stretch of unemployment, and I didn't gig with it. I do regret the sale, because it was a really nice amp.

I don't know about it not sounding like a Fender... It didn't sound like my Vox, that's for sure.

• Members

twotimingpete wrote:

I've been looking into a manageable amp, in size/weight and in volume, that has the fender cleans I'm looking for. Bedroom playing/recording, possibly band play at some point.

What do you guys think of it, and, in particular, this FSR with the beautiful tweed exterior and a jensen speaker?

I really liked mine. Just had the stock speaker. For low volume it was ok, kinda thin, not what I think of "fender cleans"...but with a pedal of course it's fine. It's a loud little bitch, and to open it up at all is way too loud for bedroom playing. When you crank it up of course it really comes to life and is plenty loud for band situations.

I'd buy another.

• Members

not a fan... the prri slays it for cleans imo

a while ago i was trying strats... i was in an amp room with a twin trying a few out... i went out to get a different guitar, and at that point someone went into the room with the twin, so i had to take the guitar into a different amp room that had a blues jnr in it... after playing through the twin the blues jnr just sounded really crappy to me

• Members

The BJr has its fans, and the newest revision (III) has some of the mods that players have made with previous versions (a bit brighter in the clean dept., etc.).

It's a fine enough amp for what it is. Does it sound like a Twin? Of course not, but that's like saying an AC4TV doesn't sound like an AC30. It has good cleans, and can get nicely dirty. Like what's said above, though, it's a loud little sucker, and needs to get up in volume to really hit the sweet spot (then again, a lot of tube amps are the same way).

• Members

twotimingpete wrote:

DV016_Jpg_Large_483711_V.jpg

Does anyone know anything about this vintage jensen speaker setup, especially compared to the eminence speaker typically in blues jrs?

I think a Mustang is what you need.

Archived