Are you wasting your life?

gardo

• Members

Some of his advice makes a lot of sense. But for hobby players like me - people that have zero aspirations of making original music or more so, being successful at it, his advice simply doesnt apply. You could say why do anything if you cant become worldclass skilled at it? Golf (as mentioned), or painting, or working out, or whatever.

• Members

Looking at his guitar collection reminded me of a post on a photography forum where a "How many cameras you own"  thread was being upped competitively well into mid 2 figures until someone posted "I have only one,  I'm a professional"

• Members

I have to agree with him on this one, to some degree.  Even if your ability to create isn't as great or will never be as respected as what your idols do, at least it's yours.  

What's more annoying than a teenager playing Creeping Death badly through a 5150 in Guitar Center?  Or the guy on the other side of the store, playing SRV/Vai/Page/etc and never hitting a bum note?

• Members

Elias Graves wrote:

knotty Super Contributor

12:32 PM

1001gear wrote:

has posted 622 videos.
:eek:

I suspect we will get them all.

Add Comment

Kudo 0

I didn't get the first one.

But I'd love to know where he gets those killer sweatpants. They rock.

manslaughter

• Members

Typically, this dude is a douche beyond belief (and he has a couple momments in this vid, bragging on income? whatever...) and it really pains me to agree with him. However, this vid has been my guitar playing mantra since the begining. I've always been much more interested in writing songs rather than learning others. He's absolutely spot on that there is no tone without technique. He's also spot on regarding the differences in mixes and PA playback versus hearing one's off axis amp response. He's dead wrong that it's a waste of time to learn other's techniques. In fact he even says he will steal licks and re-use them. The quickest way to unlock your instrument is to study those who came before. This is not unique to guitar. But again, he's right about the waste of money on gear hoping one's tone will magically improve. If you were learning sax, teachers wouldn't ever suggest that you had to buy a specific instrument to get Coltrane's tone but rather focus on techniques which can be ablied to achieve sounds. All that said, his delivery is self rightious beyond belief and clearly coming from a pretty dark and jaded place...

That said, he's also dead wrong about never making a dime playing covers. Most the guys I know who are making a living playing guitar do so by a combination of playing in higher profile cover bands (weddings, private parties) and teaching. The guys making no money (like myself) focus purely on originals. When I was a kid I looked down on the cover bands in my high school, in particular a band in which a classmate Jimmy Messer played. Here's a selected list of his discography: http://www.discogs.com/artist/Jimmy+Messer

• Members

Will Chen wrote:

He's dead wrong that it's a waste of time to learn other's techniques.

? He doesn't say that! he says learn from many, He says it is a waste of time trying to emulate only one performer.

If you go back to the vid and read the block of text at the beginning he is quite clear. :)

• Members

He's a very eccentric individual.

This means that sometimes, he comes off as a total unsocialized douchenozzle. Other times, well, he sees **** others don't see and is totally valid.

In the case of the first video posted, he is SPOT on.

Your 30's are when you finally realize realize how much life is gone by, your 40's are when you start to appreciate how little time you have left, your 50's is when you begin to understand what the **** you realzied in your 30's and 40's actually means and reconcile the idea that we all owe a death and yours is coming due any day now...

The Good Will Hunting quote nailed it.

"Do you have any thoughts of your own on this matter? Or do you, is that your thing, you come into a bar, read some obscure passage and then pretend - you pawn it off as your own...? See, the sad thing about a guy like you is, in 50 years you're gonna start doin' some thinkin' on your own..."

The large majority of people in this world who are simply lemmings, minions, never having a creative or unique thought of their own, living their entire lives as a vessel for the ideas of other people. It's sad, but it's like 90%.

• Members

Gitter wrote:

He's a very eccentric individual.

This means that sometimes, he comes off as a total unsocialized douchenozzle. Other times, well, he sees **** others don't see and is totally valid.

In the case of the first video posted, he is SPOT on.

Your 30's are when you finally realize realize how much life is gone by, your 40's are when you start to appreciate how little time you have left, your 50's is when you begin to understand what the **** you realzied in your 30's and 40's actually means and reconcile the idea that we all owe a death and yours is coming due any day now...

The Good Will Hunting quote nailed it.

"Do you have any thoughts of your own on this matter? Or do you, is that your thing, you come into a bar, read some obscure passage and then pretend - you pawn it off as your own...? See, the sad thing about a guy like you is, in 50 years you're gonna start doin' some thinkin' on your own..."

The large majority of people in this world who are simply lemmings, minions, never having a creative or unique thought of their own, living their entire lives as a vessel for the ideas of other people. It's sad, but it's like 90%.

You've taken a survey have you?

Archived