Anybody have experience with the guitar center pro coverage?

Willrocks

• Members

Recently bought a new amp head and the salesman was pushing the pro coverage hard. He described it as 'anything accidental happens to it, like a fall or water spill, we will give a gift card for the full amount.' I found that hard to believe but I am considering adding it. It would be the repair plan since it is >500$. Anybody have any experience with this program?

• Members

I have used it three times. Both times they asked me to send the defective unit (on their dime) and then they sent me the credit to be used at the store...

The first time even let me keep the defective unit, which I fixed and I still use.

I know that they changed companies recently, but I don't know if they have chnged and policies and/or practices.

The trick for me was to negotiate the price of the item and the warranty, and I was always able to walk out of the store with savings over the tagged price including the warranty and taxes. The problem with this is that when the issue a gift card/credit to the store, it is ONLY for the price YOU paid for the item (negotiated price), not the tagged price.

Good luck!

Omar

• Members

Recently bought a new amp head and the salesman was pushing the pro coverage hard. He described it as 'anything accidental happens to it, like a fall or water spill, we will give a gift card for the full amount.' I found that hard to believe but I am considering adding it. It would be the repair plan since it is >500$. Anybody have any experience with this program?

Do you find yourself in a position where it would take a fall, water spill on it, etc.?

• Members

IMO, all of these "insurance" plans offered by stores are a scam. The likelihood that something would ever happen to your stuff is very slim, so any money you spend on it goes straight to them. It's like handing them money and getting nothing in return. Of course they try to push it hard.

Frankly, I'm sick on them trying to push it. If I say no one time, drop it. But they keep pushing and sometimes they want a reason why I don't want it. It's ridiculous.

• Members

I've only had success with the Sam Ash guitar performance plan which offers 2 years of full coverage

set-ups, replacement for original electronics if something should go wrong - basically covers what makes the guitar work

also good if it's an Authorized Gibson Center that way dealing with them is a cakewalk if your Gibson is giving you issues (Thanks for the new tuners for the treble side!)

Beyond that

the Performance plan at Guitar center was a washout when my wireless crapped out.

What I was told: "Yea man, just bring it back - show the receipt and we'll take care of it for ya"

What I got: Blank stares and a 'Sorry dude, wish I could help' were about all that amounted from it until i called corporate and mailed it off

the store employees were beyond useless.

Except for the salesguys and the accountant of course

- service after the sale is non existent

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I know that this is an old post and thread, but I thought I'd add some inpu re recent experience.

My dad got me a Whammy Pedal a few years ago for Christmas and got the Pro Coverage when he bought it. It wasn't very much (I think it was about $30?), and that is about ALL I would recommend this stuff for...if you're buying a decent quality amp or head (I'm assuming that's the case if the plan would be $500...!), I can't imagine a lot of mishaps that would need fix more pricey than a $500 plan.

I guess I'm saying: Hell to the No! DO NOT get that plan.

Did I mention that I've had a few issues with my whammy pedal (mostly with that accursed power supply...!) and, no thanks to bastard-coated bastards (ya gotta see that clip from Scrubs...it's honestly worth looking up on YT, and I'm not just trying to make my joke funny!) who work there, I found out that I was covered under the pro coverage deal.

Oh, goodie! This hasn't been a MONTH LONG, ROYAL PAIN IN MY ASS...NO, NOT AT ALL!

I'm just as happy as a clam...a kind of homicidal clam with a massive hatred of people...

Seriously, after waiting about a month for that supposed deal in the mail or even a freaking emial, I went in the other day to deal with that AND to possibly buy an amp they have, and after the way they dealt with me (I shouldn't say that--it was one guy in particular who was so rude and anti-helpful that it was almost funny, like I was on a Neo-Candid Camera show or something...everybody else there that day was very nice and 10x more helpful than him, which is odd, cause he was the one who would've made the commission), I felt a lot less like buying an amp and more leaning toward slashing somebody's tires.

The salespeople kind of make it sound like it's just a simple swap deal (and a lot of them were probably told that--I used to work there and things from corporate weren't exactly clear a lot of the time), but it's more like that thing Microsoft did with bad Xbox 360s...except when my 360 fried itself, I got a UPS coffin for it in a few days, and I didn't get a *GIFT CARD* consolation prize. I also don't recall paying for the privilege of them fixing their own screw up...come to think of it, it didn't take them over a month to send out a single, apparently magical email, either, nor did I have to deal with a lot of rude, condescending people who talked to me as I were 9 or something.

Okay, now that I think about it more, it's not a whole lot like that Red Rings of Death thing with Microsoft...

It's more like something that even their employees are confused about. And as someone who's had a lot of sales jobs in the past, let me tell that there are very few things more infuriating about working for a nameless, faceless corporate office that constantly pressures you to sell more _____, supposedly for your own good (i.e. more commission), then totally contradicts that by breathing down your neck about how you haven't been selling enough _____, and then doesn't even give you straight info about how things like service plans work! You end up looking stupid and turning off, confusing, or just plain pissing off your regular customers when they go to use that service plan you were so excited about and realize its an awful lot of work and headaches that might not even get them what it promised.

In a nutshell, their pro coverage deal doesn't seem to work very well. I mean, I shudder to think of how this would all work if I bought a nice guitar or top of the line amp...!

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I have been a drummer for 16 years and personally manufacturer warranties have never failed me. I have had over a dozen cymbals replaced through Zildjian and Sabian. I even a DW5000 pedal remounted when the grip area wore away. The majority of musicians I know either don't buy Pro Coverage or have had bad experiences with the insurance companies. Here is a video about what some sales associates think of having to sell the service.

Archived