Agile/SX/Douglas owners... this guy wants to whup ur ass

Dr. Scottie C

• Members

Scott Groves is highly regarded by many as a guitar historian, and expert..... but he has a major problem with Agile/SX/Douglas and Xaviere guitars.....he suggests throwing them in the garbage......he will have no problem telling you why.....(although he does say that SX are far superior to Agile):

Scott will also tell you not to be afraid to buy a Samick..... some of the Gibson USA models, sold as Gibson USA....was made a Samick.

Ibanez, Washburn, ....all made by Samick

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well he can have his own opinion, but I'm not about to junk my xaviere guitar beacuse he happens to have a Sammick fetish. I own Fender, Gibson, Peavey, Xaviere, Squier and Ibanez guitars, and the one thing I've learned is that EVERY company is capable of producing both gems and turds, there is no surefire company that will be 100% on at all times. As for him complaining about modding guitars, That I will tell him to **** off on. Players have been tinkering with their guitars since they first started building them, and that's lead to some gtreat innovations in new gear. There is no cookie cutter guitar that everyones going to be happy with, alot of people are going to have to customize their rig before they get what they want...

All in all, I think i'll just continue to aquire gear (regardless of where it's made and whats on the headstock) by how it sounds and feels, regardless of whether my choice is criticized by a Mountain Men reject

• Members

Unfortunately, his 50 word vocabulary limits his ability to tell us why all of these guitars are total crap. The best I could glean is that roller bridges, staggered tuners, non-back tilted necks and graphite necks are the only game (s) in town; but don't you dare mod your guitar with, for example, a roller bridge because it won't be worth more that $50 when you are finished.

He isn't quite bright enough to understand how roller bridges kill tone and sustain or that locking tuners are mostly a waste of money.

• Members

I just watched a bunch of this guys videos, and for someone with such strong opinions (not to mention a warehouse full of gear) he sure has some awful tone.  Not to mention just mostly being a windbag wanker.

I guess it just comes back to this:  if it sounds/feels good it is good and other peoples opinions come cheap.  I for one am thrilled that we are living in a time when less expensive gear can and does rival the established "big boys" and give players choices they didn't have before. 

• Members

I made it through half the video yesterday, then my wife came home and it was dinner time. I forgot to watch the rest. But it was funny, thanks for posting.

Also, the video requires that you know the link to watch it - how'd you manage that?

• Members

Well, I used a few minutes of my lunch break to finish the video.

First, it's hilarious, so thanks for posting.

Second, I think he only made one valid point, when he said that upgrades don't add resale value to a guitar, which is usually true.

• Members

I see Scott Grove as an example of how someone can say something completely, even obviously, factual and people will disagree simply because they don't like the person saying it.

And before strawmen or those with poor reading comprehension respond,  I'm not implying that everything he says is factual, nor am I indicating whether or not he deserves the hate he gets.

• Members

Well he may have made a valid point in the first half, but I watched that part a couple days ago. I only remember laughing at the bold statements of opinion represented as facts, regular insults to his audience, and the way he says "Agile." This in particular is even funnier when he calls the people watching the video dumb MFers, and insists he knows what he's talking about.

All in all, a hilarious video. Some true statements, lots of his own opinions, and loads of comedy.

But more importantly - @dr scottie c - where did you get the link? The video is unpublished on youtube!

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

Well he may have made a valid point in the first half, but I watched that part a couple days ago. I only remember laughing at the bold statements of opinion represented as facts, regular insults to his audience, and the way he says "Agile." This in particular is even funnier when he calls the people watching the video dumb MFers, and insists he knows what he's talking about.

All in all, a hilarious video. Some true statements, lots of his own opinions, and loads of comedy.

But more importantly - @dr scottie c - where did you get the link? The video is unpublished on youtube!

I pulled the video from youtube.... i dont know what you mean by unpublished.

• Members

When I clicked on it to watch it on youtube's site, it said that. Maybe the status of the video changed after you posted it.

I watched a few more of his videos, and I noticed that he was playing guitars that didn't have graphite necks, staggered tuners, or roller bridges and nuts.

• Members

I thought his video on tuning was interesting.His problem is :_

He never takes a minute to say what can be said in an hour :)

However it comes down to tune strings as hard as you normaly play them because when you tune soft and play hard the notes will be slightly sharp. (watching the tuner needle that does seem to be the case!) He also has some specific issue with the G string that I haven't quite got my head around.

• Members

Agree on the fretboard thing....ie:

SRV played "Lenny" studio version on #1 with the rosewood fretboard...... usually played it live with the "Lenny" maple fretboard red strat....sounds the same.

Groves is a average to very slightly above average player at best.... but those seem to be the guys that make the most money with lessons.

• Members

Well, many times the best teachers in regular school don't necessarily know everything about their given subjects. Teaching is a skill/art, and some people are just great at it. Maybe this guy is like that. I didn't watch any of his lesson videos, so I can't comment specifically.

• Members

Teaching is DEFINITELY a talent. I realize this because I've tried it and am awful at it.

He's an interesting character for sure. I've casually observed him over the years; his content output is just so prolific, his opinions so sharp that naturally he draws fire and commentary from the peanut gallery. Also, he has an odd personality type and will go into 'defensive-insulting-dbag' mode at the drop of a hat.

Still,  he's made some keen observations that are well outside 'internet guitar forum narrative' but line up identically with my own conclusions. For example, certain Japanese guitars from the 1980s and their going-price-to-relative-quality ratio being just ridiculously off-kilter. He's putting his money where his mouth is with his guitar collection and has stated this a few times. He realizes this era in guitarmaking is insanely under-appreciated and in this particular niche, he's one of the people who's capable of seeing what's to come. In the years to come, he's going to make money off a lot of those guitars.

I don't go so far as to bash people who buy entry level contemporary guitars. To the contrary, their cost to quality level blows me away and I sure wish I had that available when I was coming up but from a capital-efficiency standpoint, no doubt whatsoever those same people would get a {censored}load more value buying 80s era vintage.

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

Well, many times the best teachers in regular school don't necessarily know everything about their given subjects. Teaching is a skill/art, and some people are just great at it. Maybe this guy is like that. I didn't watch any of his lesson videos, so I can't comment specifically.

I have to agree with this. My daughter's flute teacher does not even play flute yet she is the top flutist in her school by far. It's about a knowledge of music and understanding the mechanics then communicating this to the student

• Members

He has a video where he heartily recommends a Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro. He says it plays perfect out of the box due to the Plek job, has coil splitting, and locking tuners. Granted, the neck isn't graphite, and it doesn't have a roller bridge or nut, but he does recommend it.

I just think this guy is hilarious. I wonder how serious he is, since he insults his audience so much, and makes such absolute claims that he obviously doesn't believe (look at his collection - full of guitars he knocks in the video).

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

He has a video where he heartily recommends a Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro. He says it plays perfect out of the box due to the Plek job, has coil splitting, and locking tuners. Granted, the neck isn't graphite, and it doesn't have a roller bridge or nut, but he does recommend it.

I just think this guy is hilarious. I wonder how serious he is, since he insults his audience so much, and makes such absolute claims that he obviously doesn't believe (look at his collection - full of guitars he knocks in the video).

Guys..... don't take everything so literal.....

It's not like Groves had a 8 inch boner on for the Modulus guitar in that video.....or even brought that guitar up until he happened to grab it.

He simply grabbed one of his 2,000 pieces that happened to be hanging nearby, and pointed out some high end features on it, but then stated that even the $2,000 Modulus wasn't perfect.

At no point did he say "every guitar must have a graphite neck and roller bridge and nut"..... he just as easy could have grabbed one of his 15 Parkers hanging there and pointed out the resin and carbon glass neck on it, with stainless steel frets.....

In that video I posted.... Groves simply points out that in his opinion Rondo guitars don't deserve your money, other brands (such as PRS SE) do.

Archived