Suhr Guitars - An observation

tacdryver

• Members

For some time I checked them out, they were pushed on me early on by a high end local store.

Are they nice? Sure. What do they bring that say a nice Ibanez brings? Not much IMHO

I've done some A/B testing, actual, live in the same room, flip guitars, amps, ect and was able to get my guitar to sound just like a friends Suhr.

On TGP I asked why they didn't put fret markets on the last two frets. JS writes in that he doesn't like the look, that he still thinks '22 frets' and that he thought the fret markers would give off a cheesy cheapo import 80s metal vibe.

I said it looked unfinished with the missing fret markers - ban

Just an observation, but I seems 4k for guitar, while put together nicely is a little much when in the end, they just level and crown their frets and put some locking tuners on it.

Always going to be peeps with extra money dropping big dollars on toys, but I thought that the owner's comments pretty much sunk the boat for me. If he doesn't like 24 fret guitars and feels that he needs to make them like 22 fret guitars, but at the same time offer up neon drip, buckers, whammys, ect, it's like a deceptive message. He wants the customers but he doesn't like that guitar.

I think it's pretty stupid and personally the only way I would own a Suhr was if used and got it for a song.

2 cents.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For what it's worth I absolutely love my Suhr.  I loved it so much I sold most of my other guitars to finance it.  It blew me away - tone, playability, feel.  Every aspect is 10/10 and I haven't found any guitar at any price I like better.  That said I played a bunch (maybe 20) other Suhrs that didn't speak to me.  They were very fine guitars, just not for me.  YMMV.  I've played lots of guitars over the last 25 years from all kind of makers, in all price ranges.  There are $100 guitars I thought were really cool, and $8000 guitars that didn't do it for me.  All that matters is - does it work for you?  I can understand some folks saying "no."  Everyone likes and wants different things in a guitar, and may or may not like any given manufacturer.  Nothing wrong with that.  Suhrs guitars are universally high quality, though.  I'd gladly take a few more if I had the money.

tacdryver wrote:

I've done some A/B testing, actual, live in the same room, flip guitars, amps, ect and was able to get my guitar to sound just like a friends Suhr.

I'm sure I could do the same thing, but I'd still rather play my Suhr.  Again, YMMV.

• Members

Very few primo brands withstand objective scruitiny, next to less expensive instruments. Musical instrument economics used to dictate that quality at least loosely tracked cost, that is no longer the case.

Branding- prestige, ego, pride of ownership- plays a titanic role in the upper end of the musical instrument world. While owners are usually quick with the confirmation-bias nonsense, ask them if they'd be willing to wager on any of their narrative in a valid, blind controlled sound sample test. Suddenly, their soaring theories fall quiet.

Not to say differences don't exist, but there's a ton of fetishism going on and it seems the fastest way to get people to believe your instruments have magical powers is to charge some exorbitant price for something that, functionally, could be exactly duplicated in Asia for 1/8th the cost.

• Members

tacdryver wrote:

For some time I checked them out, they were pushed on me early on by a high end local store.

Are they nice? Sure. What do they bring that say a nice Ibanez brings? Not much IMHO

On TGP I asked why they didn't put fret markets on the last two frets. JS writes in that he doesn't like the look, that he still thinks '22 frets' and that he thought the fret markers would give off a cheesy cheapo import 80s metal vibe.

I said it looked unfinished with the missing fret markers - ban

Just an observation, but I seems 4k for guitar, while put together nicely is a little much when in the end, they just level and crown their frets and put some locking tuners on it.

Always going to be peeps with extra money dropping big dollars on toys, but I thought that the owner's comments pretty much sunk the boat for me. If he doesn't like 24 fret guitars and feels that he needs to make them like 22 fret guitars, but at the same time offer up neon drip, buckers, whammys, ect, it's like a deceptive message. He wants the customers but he doesn't like that guitar.

I think it's pretty stupid and personally the only way I would own a Suhr was if used and got it for a song.

2 cents.

Maybe you can't play? But srsly, it does take a fine player to get to the musicality of that gooder tone. And frankly I can't think of a single Ibanez model that even approximates a Strat.

• Members

Gitter wrote:

Very few primo brands withstand objective scruitiny, next to less expensive instruments. Musical instrument economics used to dictate that quality at least loosely tracked cost, that is no longer the case.

Branding- prestige, ego, pride of ownership- plays a titanic role in the upper end of the musical instrument world. While owners are usually quick with the confirmation-bias nonsense, ask them if they'd be willing to wager on any of their narrative in a valid, blind controlled sound sample test. Suddenly, their soaring theories fall quiet.

Not to say differences don't exist, but there's a ton of fetishism going on and it seems the fastest way to get people to believe your instruments have magical powers is to charge some exorbitant price for something that, functionally, could be exactly duplicated in Asia for 1/8th the cost.

I don't know if it's 100% true or not, but you sir can sure turn a phrase and make a very persuasive argument.  That part about "could be exactly duplicated in Asia for 1/8th the cost" is a bit over the top I think but your argument up to that point is so persuasive I was ready to bite.  I look at the boutique guitar market about the same as the Harley Davidson craze.  I mean you can get a comparable bike for a lot less dosh but it's not gonna say Harley Davidson on it and carry the pride of being American made, or the cachet of being the bike most associated with outlaw gangs like the Hell's Angels. 

I respect a well made guitar and Suhr fits the bill, but I'm not paying over a grand for any guitar.  I work too hard for my money and anyway I know I can find just as much guitar for a lot less than a new Suhr would cost.  I buy used, am right handed and know how to qualify a good guitar from an also ran.  It doesn't have to say custom shop or even be a company's premium model to be a great guitar.  For me there's no better guitar than a good Fender or a good Gibson and I have both slots filled.  Hamer made a great Gibson for awhile and I have a couple of those bought used at great discount.  I even have a couple of 90's MIMs and a Matsumoku built Aria Pro II Bobcat that after a little work, play and sound like $4,000 guitars and they didn't cost more than a about a hundred apiece initially (cost doubled with upgrades on the MIMs).  (My MIMs have two piece bodies and my American Standard has a three piece, all very resonant).

I'm a little leary of the standard Asian Budget fare though.  When I go to Guitar Center, I never seem to find anything decent that doesn't say Fender or Gibson on it.  (I was impressed with a used Carvin recently).  Today's budget guitars are made to a certain market-niche and more controlled in that pursuit than years gone by - that's my bias at least.  I've gone through enough of those budget imports to know they're not everything they're cracked up to be, generally speaking.  I kept a Washburn P290 that is Korean made because I just like the way it sounds and it plays decent enough.  Even though it retailed for over $900 back in the day (late 90's early 2000's) and it has a nice resonant piece of mahogany (two piece body), the bridge and tailpiece is not Gibson standard spec and the saddle wear etc. shows some shoddy workmanship.  Better than the fast wearing frets I've experienced with some of the other Asian budgets though.

Anyway that's my experience.  I know that a lot of folks look down on the stuff I swear by (old MIMs and Aria Pro IIs) so to each his own.  I do know this, with this much competition, it's hard not to find a few real bargains if you look hard enough.  Probably even find an old Suhr for a song if you try hard enough.       

• Members

Gitter wrote:

There are lots of people lining up to buy Suhrs.

There are lots of people spending five figures on a wristwatch.

According to one poll, 77% of Americans believe in Angels.

.0000001 percent of this forum wants a Suhr more than anyone else here, and his name is Gitter.

• Members

0000001 percent of this forum cannot use the quote function or come up with a good comeback: His name is Gitter.

Haha, I just looked at your youtube channel. I was wondering how someone could be this openly stupid  without feeling shame, but its all 'obvious' now. What a tard.

(reaches out, gently pats you on head)

• Members

Gitter wrote:

0000001 percent of this forum cannot use the quote function or come up with a good comeback: His name is Gitter.

Haha, I just looked at your youtube channel. I was wondering how someone could be this openly stupid  without feeling shame, but its all 'obvious' now. What a tard.

(reaches out, gently pats you on head)

.0000001 percent of this forum is jealous of my awesome Youtube channel.

• Members

axegrinder wrote:

I don't know the percentage, but one guy seems to have a high opinion of himself and probably doesn't realize that only 0.0001 % of people share that opinion.

Well, that's more than .0000001 percent, isn't it?

And for the record, I am an extremely humble person, but self-degradation gets old fast. If you're confusing me calling my Youtube channel "awesome" in response to a troll with vanity, than let me clarify that I am constantly trying to better my channel with a variety of videos. It's far from awesome. I'm far from awesome.

• Members

Buckstudent, I didn't visit your YT channel. Somebody else attacked your videos, but I'd not sink that low. I also wouldn't cite low forum post count as a sign of inferiority... especially since some long standing members had to start over after HC switched to lithium.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived