How much to be on harmony central ! ?

Chordite

• Members

I just read an article on the BBC about how much you guys are paying, (not for Le pauls but) for broadband.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24528383

They are saying $100 a month!!

Is this true?

Here I add broadband to my phonebill for around $18 a month and I could get it for less

I remeber 10 years back when I still lived in Canada that Mobile charges were extortionate. but thought techno sanity would have prevailed by now

For reference a loaf of bread is around $1.90 here. and I get a haircut for about $8.

(On the other hand our gas is $ 10:30 a gallon so you definitely win there)

Also a creepy thing about the UK is you have to pay $230 a year to the government for a licence to watch TV.. I resented this so much when I came back here that I don't have a TV (and don't miss it :) )

• Members

Could be true. I pay about $50.00 for  broadband but there are different levels of service available offering even greater speed  so I could see this happening. Haircuts are free,my wife does it ,and gas is about $3.25

• Members

Americans are generally stupid enough to believe the lies of big businesses and politicians who claim that we live in a free-market/capitalist society. The politicians and business collude to limit competition in telecommunications markets and keep prices high, and attack any attempts to change it as overregulation. People fall for it every time.

• Members

Lonnie99 wrote:

How about the little trucks cruising the neighborhoods, knocking on the doors of those who've not paid their tv tax!

Apparently the "detector vans" detected TV line scanning frequencies with directional antenna and they don't work on digital so they have some kind of stasi agents who look through windows and talk to neighbours before knocking on the door. Like I said "Creepy"

• Members

$230 a year for TV? Is that on top of whatever channel service you have, too?

I pay just under $50 for broadband, but it's in a bundle with a whole bunch of TV channels, which brings the bill up considerably. My wife likes all that TV, so I'm stuck with it.

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

$230 a year for TV? Is that on top of whatever channel service you have, too?

I pay just under $50 for broadband, but it's in a bundle with a whole bunch of TV channels, which brings the bill up considerably. My wife likes all that TV, so I'm stuck with it.

Thats not for any service, you have to pay them just for the 'right' to watch anything broadcast. (Radio and youtube are ok though) only TV or live performance internet.

• Members

jpnyc wrote:

Americans are generally stupid enough to believe the lies of big businesses and politicians who claim that we live in a free-market/capitalist society. The politicians and business collude to limit competition in telecommunications markets and keep prices high, and attack any attempts to change it as overregulation. People fall for it every time.

Try living somewhere else for a while before calling everyone in a country stupid.   News flash: there are stupid people EVERYWHERE.   Case in point: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html

Archived