Do you own two virtually identical guitars?

Lonnie99

• Members

I bought a Yamaha SE350H last week for $40 at a pawn shop and have totally fallen in love with it. I found the HSS version, same color and all on eBay and am seriously considering getting it.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z30/Guitarlon/5b09fd7175c6a30373a151a53820bd10_zpsa3fb7e8e.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z30/Guitarlon/c0c784c6d5b6da86af502d5df0405fb2_zps7300b4f0.jpg

• Members

Well, I had two Strats that had very, very similar pickups. I ended up selling one and keeping the one I played more.

Granted, you could argue that all of my dual humbucker guitars are essentially the same, but I don't think that's where your question is going.

As for the value on owning two of the same guitar, I think it's a good idea for touring musicians, or musicians who gig very regularly. If you have two of the same, and something happens to your main guitar mid-gig, your backup is as if you didn't change anything.

• Members

Gigging musicians definitely. I can't play one whole song. :) I guess these aren't technically the same either as the pickup configuration is different and the HSS one has a tone control. It really makes no sense for me to own more than one guitar really, but these can be had so cheap I can own 3-5 for the price of a new MIM Fender, so why not? Life is short.

• Members

Yes but one is standard and the other is tuned to open E.

I dont use slide on it but finger chords which then have textures different to what they do on the standard. But you can blend them seamlessly into layers on a recording as one guitar (Hope that makes sense :)

• Members

I bought two identical guitars except for the colors.  Then I gutted and modifed them both in two different directions.  Went with 2HB series/parallel, push/pull with the first.  Straight up 1Vol/1Tone 2P90's on the other.

So yes and no.

• Members

4 ESP Eclipses. One is a custom and is quite different from the rest, the others are standards in various colors. Pickups are different in a couple. So yeah. As noted above, I am indeed a touring musician so an identical backup is quite handy. And also it's just fun to switch up which one is my number one on any given tour and take some time to restore the wear and tear on the others.

Archived