Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

what difference do ohms make (8, 16, whatever)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what difference do ohms make (8, 16, whatever)

my amp has a toggle on the back to accept different types of speakers. 4ohm, 8oh, or 16ohm. the stock speaker is 8.

makes me wonder what difference the ohm rating of a speaker makes? if you put in an 8 ohm or 16 ohm speaker, since I can accept either, what difference does it make?
    <div class="signaturecontainer">-<br />
    <b>Spam:</b><br />
    <font face="Tahoma">FS: none</font><br />
    I'm a <b><font color="SandyBrown">GOLD TRADER</font></b><br />
    <font size="1"><font color="Purple"><b>Good deals:</b></font> rusholmeruffian, rrancani, JohnnyRaincheck, mhn433, super56k, wagdog, cratz2, rxkid75, teletaylor</font><br />
    <font color="SlateGray"><b><font size="1">Shamelessness: I do illustration &amp; graphic design by commission, check my blogfolio: -- <a href="http://mattwhiteart.blogspot.com" target="_blank"><b>Matt White's Art</b> --</a> <br />
    </font></b></font></div>

Tonewise, it doesn't make any difference. A 16-ohm speaker connected to a 16-ohm jack will sound the same as an 8-ohm speaker through an 8-ohm jack.

But you do need to match the impedances carefully.

If you have an 8-ohm cab, you should really only connect this to an 8-ohm output.
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="2"><b><u>Gear &amp; Stuff</u></b><br />
    <br />
    Captain in the <font color="Sienna"><b>SG <font color="Green">A</font>r<font color="DarkGreen">m</font>y</b></font>, 101st Airborne Division<br />
    Honorary Mention on bassesofalessergod's <b>&quot;a list of jerks&quot;</b>, 4/17/07<br />
    Proud owner of The Legendary <b><font color="DarkOrange">Orange</font></b> <a href="http://tinyurl.com/IkeaGorm" target="_blank">IKEA Gorm Pedalboard</a><br />
    </font></div>

Comment

Speaker and speaker cabinet impedance is measured in ohms. Most amps (with the exception of some older Marshalls), don't have problems with being hooked up to a speaker or speaker cabinet that has a higher impedance than the amp's output impedance (for example, the amp's [speaker] output impedance is listed as 8 ohms, and the speaker or speaker cabinet has an impedance of 16 ohms). BUT, amps do have a problem being hooked up to a speaker or cabinet that has a lower impedance than the back panel speaker jack lableing (or manual) specifies, due to the fact that your amp might electrically see this below specified impedance as a short circuit. Short circuits can blow output transformers in tube amps, and burn out final tranisistors and ICs in solid state amps.
      <div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="SeaGreen"><font face="Arial"><i><font size="2"><b>Guitars I Have (and Play)</b> <br />
      <br />
      Gretsch G6119-1962FT Tennessee Rose <br />
      <br />
      2006 Mapleglo Rickenbacker 360<br />
      <br />
      2012 Fender Esquire<br />
      <br />
      2012 Squier Modified Jaguar - not the humbucker one, the traditional one<br />
      <br />
      Guild D125-12, 12-string acoustic <br />
      <br />
      </font></i></font><i><font size="2"><br />
      <font face="Arial"><b>Amps</b><br />
      <br />
      Early 90s Teal Stripe Peavey Bandit (the earliest Transtube Peavey)<br />
      </font></font></i></font></div>

Comment

think about a water pump, pumping into a big tank. But this particular pump needs to maintain a fairly precise amount of pressure to work effectively. Say for the sake of the argument, it needs to pump through a 8" pipe to maintain just the right pressure. If you go to a smaller pipe there's too much back pressure, and the pump could burn up. If it pumps into a larger pipe, there's not enough back pressure, and it could "run away" and be destroyed. A lot of amplifier circuits need to pump their output into just the right amount of "back pressure", (ohms) to work efficiently and safely. Not a perfect analogy, but it's in the ballpark.

Comment

• dannosuke427
          dannosuke427 commented
          Editing a comment

Hey Mike,

If it gets any clearer than that, I haven't seen it.  Thanks very much for the explanation!

Working...
      X