X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logic Audio v. Cubase v. Pro Tools. v. Digital Performer

OK, I'm going to be purchasing one of the four listed above soon. I need to know the advantages to each and the disadvantages. I won't be using MIDI a lot but I do need something that will give me the best options for editing and number of tracks and plugins...etc. Any info is good info.

Well one issue confuses things- hardware. ProTools is either free, or for the better version (more audio channels, blah blah blah) you have to purchase their Digi 001 PCI/breakout box interface which includes the LE software. If you don't want an interface, then try free protools and see how you like it and then maybe buy it if you really want it. If you go with one of the others, you can pick your hardware, and I'd go with the MOTU 828 Firewire interface, or if > 4 simultaneous audio channels coming in isn't an issue for you, look at the Event EZ bus, which also doubles as a mixer and triples as a control surface. I hate USB though, and it is USB.

Regarding just the software, in a nutshell:

Digital Performer is the easiest to use, and good with audio and midi. If I could start over, I'd use it, but it is too late for me.

Cubase is the most popular, and has the most plug-ins available (Steinberg developed the VST protocol, and lots of developers adopted it. ProTools and DP use RTAS plug-ins, which are plentiful also, but not as much as VST.). Cubase started as a sequencer and thus has very flexible midi implementation. But audio files can get very messy on Cubase. I use it- on the whole it is very powerful and I have great fun building audio/midi songs on it. But the learning curve of the advanced features is steep (it isn't difficult, but it isn't intuitive, you have to look up every damn thing in the manual- DP is the opposite). Cubase VST/32 v5.0 has improved things a lot, cutting out many redundant windows and cheesy looking "racks". Steinberg's support it good, but you're on hold forever before you talk to them.

ProTools is pretty weak on MIDI, but very good with audio (it started as multi-track recording software). Many people hate Digidesign. I don't know why, maybe thier support blows.

Logic is a pain in the ass to use by most reports (though I'm sure Logic-heads will chime in and claim otherwise). I've never used it, it's just what I've heard. A friend had it, and then bought Cubase.

There are demos available of all of these which you can download.

Good luck,
    Dave

Comment

Logic Audio. There is nothing next to it. When you get familiar with the extremely flexible user interface you will never need anything else. And it never crashes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck
      Peter
      <div class="signaturecontainer">Hmmm</div>

Comment

You can also buy Pro-Tools LE with the Audio Media III card for about $500, definately a bargain. Logic is o.k. too I suppose, but it's all personal preference. Digi's interface is very easy, but not necessarily intuitive, fast as hell once you get used to it though.

Comment

I too am looking into purchasing a new sequencer/audio program. I think I've settled on either Digital Performer or Emagic Logic. I downloaded a demo of Cubase 5, and it's interface is really tweaky, and, loading a standard midi file, it failed to send the patch changes. I couldn't figure out how to do it either.

I'm still looking for a Logic Demo, or Digital Performer demo.................

Comment

logic is the highest power, i need to be a logic head right now, but none of the other programs have the power logic does. getting up and recording isnt to big of a deal, the deep **************** though that the others dont even do, might take a while to grasp..

Comment

Originally posted by snaggle:
              logic is the highest power, i need to be a logic head right now, but none of the other programs have the power logic does. getting up and recording isnt to big of a deal, the deep **************** though that the others dont even do, might take a while to grasp..

Snaggle is 100% correct. It will take a while to grasp. Even longer if your deterred by chatting, and photoshop and who knows what else.

Comment

Originally posted by T.J.Hooker:
                Snaggle is 100% correct. It will take a while to grasp. Even longer if your deterred by chatting, and photoshop and who knows what else.

i was just giving my two cents, not flaming anyone. i like logic and it runs on a mac. woohoo.

Comment

I was just yankin' your chain snaggle, No ones flamed. I'm sorry
                  T.

Comment

I don't think Digital Performer can be beat when it comes to ease of use. Can anyone give some examples of what you can do in Logic that you can't in Digital Performer? Thanks!
                    <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.watchjasminegrow.com/pwmusic/" target="_blank">My Music Page</a> (Gear for sale is listed at the bottom of the page)</div>

Comment

im not that familiar with d.p. but can it run a light show, automate all your outboard gear for chorous/verse changes, switch screen shots on the fly without key commands, does it have programmable key commands to do anything you could possibly think of a recording package can do, groove quantization, can it create specific enviroments for every piece of midi ready gear you own? only asking.. dont know d.p. well enough to know.. thanks for your answer.

Comment

It can do groove quantization. If by "create specific enviroments for every piece of midi ready gear you own" you mean mean patch editing/librarian, you can do that via it's integrated "Unisyn" librarian. As for the rest of the stuff, I'm not sure to be honest. It's been a couple years since I've used DP and I was using version 2.3 at the time...
                        <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.watchjasminegrow.com/pwmusic/" target="_blank">My Music Page</a> (Gear for sale is listed at the bottom of the page)</div>

Comment

i was checking out the dp box.. it does look cool..

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dave999z:
                            Well one issue confuses things- hardware. ProTools is either free, or for the better version (more audio channels, blah blah blah) you have to purchase their Digi 001 PCI/breakout box interface which includes the LE software. If you don't want an interface, then try free protools and see how you like it and then maybe buy it if you really want it. If you go with one of the others, you can pick your hardware, and I'd go with the MOTU 828 Firewire interface, or if > 4 simultaneous audio channels coming in isn't an issue for you, look at the Event EZ bus, which also doubles as a mixer and triples as a control surface. I hate USB though, and it is USB.

Regarding just the software, in a nutshell:

Digital Performer is the easiest to use, and good with audio and midi. If I could start over, I'd use it, but it is too late for me.

Cubase is the most popular, and has the most plug-ins available (Steinberg developed the VST protocol, and lots of developers adopted it. ProTools and DP use RTAS plug-ins, which are plentiful also, but not as much as VST.). Cubase started as a sequencer and thus has very flexible midi implementation. But audio files can get very messy on Cubase. I use it- on the whole it is very powerful and I have great fun building audio/midi songs on it. But the learning curve of the advanced features is steep (it isn't difficult, but it isn't intuitive, you have to look up every damn thing in the manual- DP is the opposite). Cubase VST/32 v5.0 has improved things a lot, cutting out many redundant windows and cheesy looking "racks". Steinberg's support it good, but you're on hold forever before you talk to them.

ProTools is pretty weak on MIDI, but very good with audio (it started as multi-track recording software). Many people hate Digidesign. I don't know why, maybe thier support blows.

Logic is a pain in the ass to use by most reports (though I'm sure Logic-heads will chime in and claim otherwise). I've never used it, it's just what I've heard. A friend had it, and then bought Cubase.

There are demos available of all of these which you can download.

Good luck,
                            Dave

HI!!!, i have this problem hope you can help me, i have a g4 400, and 320mb ram!!, i read you use Cubase32vst 5.0 and i want to make you a question about it!!, the point is that when im using it with 20 audio chanels and 15 plug ins(real time), my computer resources starts freaking and performance goes up to 80 till audio stops!!, i already checked my computer and i didnt find any problems, everything showed me it was a computer resourse problem, but i think my computer ok with resources!!, then i find out that my computer not only was readind the plug ins that were turned on, but all the 200 plug ins in the plug ins folder in the cubase folder!!, when i made a folder with plug ins in the desktop with the 200 hundred plug ins i have, and i drag the ones i used in a song to the plug ins folder in cubase folded works all right!!!, of course this is a ****************ed up thing to do everytime you want to open a song, i mean every time i have to open a song i have to drag the plug ins of each song from the desktop plug ins folder to the cubase plug ins folder!!!
                            is this normal, because the only conclution i got is that cubase is not made for mac
                            Thanks in advance!!
                            Alex

Comment

Here's a vote for Logic then... It's work beautifully on a G4... Check out the new digital performer though, I have heard some good things....!

Steve...R
                              <div class="signaturecontainer">"(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P</div>

Comment

Working...
                              X