Your favorite 'les paul killer' guitar

chimi

• Members

Not that long ago i bought my Cort M600T which not only plays and sounds great but has some cool coil tapping features. It's one of those few guitars that i am hoping i will not get rid of since i paid about $200 for it. It fills a lot of my needs when it comes to nice distorted tones and some drop d playing.

Got me thinking of what other people use in place of a les paul. Now- i know that you can use any style of guitar for any style of music but i am curious what people around here use as an interesting alternatives, since frankly i'm looking to buy another guitar...

SNC14386.JPG

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For me it's an LTD EC-1000. I had 2 Les Pauls in my life, and just didn't get along with them. The LTD is a combination of my favorite things about them, w/o the dislikes. The sound isn't exactly the same, but close enough for me. I also an ESP Eclipse, and din't like the sound of it. Very thin. The sound guys I work with noticed it too. I'm convinced that one was a dog though. My LTD is from the original year of them though, and better than the newer ones I've tried.

• Members

stormin1155 wrote:

Probably my Showmaster.... not exactly a "Les Paul killer" but does the LP grunt pretty well, and with coil splits can also take me into tele twang territory, and a pretty decent "acoustic" tone.

Whoa! That is a sweet machine! Reminds me of those gold Corvette Sting Rays from the 70's.

• Members

For two or three years I owned and played a guitar that made me not even think about wanting a Les Paul.  It was an Electra Vulcan MPC, the kind that you could plug effects into.  But the guitar itself without the effects was very Les Paul-like and was cooler looking to me than most Les Pauls.  It looked a lot like this one.  draft_lens17626585module148155042photo_1297387096Electra_MPC_Vulcan_in_nat

• Members

Some good ones in here. My favorite would be a Dean EVO Premium from the late 90s. Handmade in the Czech Republic. All mahogany with a 1/2 inch flame maple cap. SD Pearly Gates pickups, ebony fretboard. A truly superb instrument. I owned the green one.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z30/Guitarlon/61c76d84fffc751b25aae798cf86c251_zpsc8c6cb02.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z30/Guitarlon/DeanEVOPremium.jpg

• Members

I have an Ibanez SZ 520, a Strat-like mahogany-bodied dual-hummer guitar with a Dimarzio Bluesbucker in the neck and an Air Zone (a vintage-voiced version of Dimarzio's Tone Zone) in the bridge.  It's got kind of a LP/PRS hybrid feel.  I also have a pretty ESP LTD LP clone with P90s in it.  

If I need anything in the Les Paul spectrum, these handle it 100%

• Members

Well, I guess the only guitar I have that competes with a Les Paul is a Les Paul LAWSUIT guitar.

Most of mine have single coils, with the exceptions being my RG270 and my Hondo 740 Deluxe Mark II.

But this one goes to the Hondo. Mahogany body, DiMarzio humbuckers, trapezoid inlays, super smooth rosewood board and tough as a brick. One of the best musical purchases I ever made. Period.

227916\_6855769881\_5835\_n.jpg226621\_6855774881\_6170\_n.jpg

• Members

I believe you could probably killLes Paul with any guitar if you hit him hard enough with it.

It more depends on whether you want to bludgeon him with it ala blunt force trauma in which case I would suggest killing Les Paul with a Les Paul, or maybe you want to stab him and poke his eyes out in which case a nice pointy Jackson, or maybe a BC Rich would do nicely.

• Members

DaveAronow wrote:

I believe you could probably killLes Paul with any guitar if you hit him hard enough with it.

It more depends on whether you want to bludgeon him with it ala blunt force trauma in which case I would suggest killing Les Paul with a Les Paul, or maybe you want to stab him and poke his eyes out in which case a nice pointy Jackson, or maybe a BC Rich would do nicely.

Eventhough Les Paul Gibsons weigh 32.4 lbs, I still doubt if they could penetrate the ground, vault, and coffin at this point to get to Les.

Archived