Guitar Identification: Marvel

Ilikepoison

• Members

I came across this guitar in the local shop, played well, never seen one like it. Me being me, I bought it. Anyone ever heard of Marvel guitars? I asked the man at the shop and he had no idea. Not a scrap of info online either. Never the less, baby plays like a dream.

downsized_0801081705.jpg

downsized_0801081706.jpg

downsized_0801081706a.jpg

downsized_0801081706b.jpg

downsized_0801081707.jpg

• Members

I had a bass a few years back that looked just like that didnt say marvel but had the CM on the headstock never found out what it was! I bought it for 300 at a pawn shop and sold it to a bass player for 800 wish i had kept it it was fretless!

• Members

I've looked all over to figure it out. I had to get it, just felt right to play. It really has some weight to it. Real solid. For the pickups, their marvel brand. They don't sound bad really. About to drop new pups in it probably. Maybe some lace sensors in the neck and mid, and a nice bucker thats warm and fat. Maybe a pearly gates for the bridge.. heart isn't set on anything yet.

• Members

I've looked all over to figure it out. I had to get it, just felt right to play. It really has some weight to it. Real solid. For the pickups, their marvel brand. They don't sound bad really. About to drop new pups in it probably. Maybe some noiseless in the neck and mid, and a nice bucker thats warm and fat. Maybe a pearly gates for the bridge.. heart isn't set on anything yet.

Someone here will know about that Guitar eventually:wave:

:cool:

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Did you ever get any info? Because I've just seen one in a music store, and I REALLY like the look and feel of it.

I'm a long ways from where you got yours, though, so I wonder what this says about the guitar. I'm in South Korea. Any labeling on yours that indicates where it was made? I'm betting Korea, for some reason...

Anyway, they guitar I've found is exactly the same, and they want 300 bucks for it. worth it? Anyone?

Best,

Ande

• Members

Did you ever get any info? Because I've just seen one in a music store, and I REALLY like the look and feel of it.

I'm a long ways from where you got yours, though, so I wonder what this says about the guitar. I'm in South Korea. Any labeling on yours that indicates where it was made? I'm betting Korea, for some reason...

Anyway, they guitar I've found is exactly the same, and they want 300 bucks for it. worth it? Anyone?

Best,

Ande

300 for a necktru is a steal, go for it

• Members

Best,

Ande

I was thinkin Japan for some reason. If it`s well made I`d have no hesitation paying $300.oo for one, you can always swap the p`ups.

• Members

Looks well made. Frets a bit worn (wonder how old...) but ends good, well dressed. Body smooth, very THIN but unblemished finish. You can actually feel the grain of the wood.

The locking nut seems sort of flimsy, but I've never had one before, so what would I know?

Best,

Ande

• Members

Still no word? Somebody has to know what this thing is...

Or lacking that, Ilikepoison, how old would you say yours looks? The only stuff I find on Marvel is that they were a brand offered by the Sorkin company, first American made, later offshores including Italy, Japan, and Korea. But Sorkin went out of business in the 70s. the guitar I'm looking at is a bit weathered, but sure as hell doesn't look 30 years old. It's gotta be out there somewhere...

And how's the trem work on yours? Never had anything but a strat...

:)

Ande

ande

• Members

THanks for the advice, guys. And if anybody ever figures out what this thing is, let me know!

but for the time being, what I figured out is that I like the feel, I like the look, and I like the sound. So I bought it. If I figure out what it is, great, but if not, it's just as much fun to play...

:)

Thanks again,

Ande

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I just got back to this after quite a while. ANDE! Hell of a guitar isn't she? I'm glad some else got their hands on one. I was telling everyone mine is "one of a kind" I guess not. You have a gold trem though, but almost identical to mine.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I found this online:

Instruments previously produced in New York during the 1950s and 1960s. Later models manufactured in Japan.

Strad-O-Lin was a brand name of the Peter Sorkin Music Company. A number of solid body guitars were built at the Multivox company of New York, and distribution of those and the later Japanese built models were handled by the Sorkin company of New York City, New York. Other guitars built and distributed (possibly as rebrands) were Royce, Premier, Belltone, and Marvel."

• 9 months later...
  • Members

Hi, new to list. I just bought a 4 string Marvel bass at pawn shop for 300(was originally asking 699.00) Not a neck-through, but nice. Contoured body similar to a Ibanez ergodyne. Same problem you all have NO info at all. Looks nice, plays great(I also have a warwick corvette 4 active). I did see something about Marvel being owned by Harmony(not necessarly made by them) Rosewood body. Was told it came from Texas.Will try to post pics soon.

Archived