Dumbest question you've ever heard asked at Guitar Center ???

Dr. Scottie C

• Members

I have witnessed a few.....

Customer to sales associate: "What is the guitar theory?"

Customer to sales associate while playing a Epi SG: "Is this all the louder this gets?" (He wasn't plugged in to anything....no cable or amp near him.)

Customer to sales associate: "I will take 2 packs of your self tuning strings."

• Members

Not a dumb question, but a surprising answer from the employee.

Customer: Could you demo this guitar?

Associate: I'm sorry, I don't really know how to play.

(I helped that parent pick out a guitar for their kid that day, once the associate left)

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

Not a dumb question, but a surprising answer from the employee.

Customer: Could you demo this guitar?

Associate: I'm sorry, I don't really know how to play.

(I helped that parent pick out a guitar for their kid that day, once the associate left)

Same here,,,

Me, holding a guitar,  to sales rep. :"Do you know what this is made of?"

Sales rep: "wood."

I kid you not

• Members

Some  kid picked up a used Epi SG and asked the salesman "Do these pickups have alinco (Ah-link-Oh) magnets?" The salesman's response was classic too "No, I think it has humbucker magnets."

Where else could you get this kind of entertainment and a set of strings except at Guitar Center?

• Members

I love these kinda threads. :) There was one on here or Ultimate Guitar a few years ago.

I have only been to one Guitar Center. It felt like I wasn't welcome there. They had their good guitars out of reach, and the only ones I got to play were the acoustics. I prefer Mom and Pop places.

• Members

Chordite wrote:

Buying a strat copy at the guitar shop

It's for my son's birthday, it seems very quiet, will he need a microphone plugged in to hear it properly?

ha ha! that sounds like something my grandmother would have asked.  

but to the original post-starter - why be mean-spirited?  each one of us started from a place of having zero (or very little) knowledge to now knowing what we know (which may or may not even be a lot), and if i was overhearing a parent asking a "dumb" question in the context of trying to get his/her son started on an instrument, then isn't that the most important thing?  

who cares if they don't ask the "right" questions in the "correct" way, if in the end they're getting a son or daughter started on such a cool instrument as guitar or bass or drums or... 

• Members

Once I was buying a 70's Peavey Butcher for head for $350 and the sales rep said "any amp under $700 doesn't really use the tubes they're just dummies and they use a emulation for that amp you're buying" Me: (acting shocked but laughing inside) OH NO EVEN MY 66' GIBSON AMP!?!? Rep:Yup they did that back then

• Members

^^^ trolling employees ;)

Here's mine

> sales person: if you buy this guitar(b.c rich beast, don't u judge meh) you need this strap(one of those bullet ones)

>me IRL trolling: how does it affect the tone(seeing if he really is dumb)

>salesperson: it uh... It uh, gives it a uh fuller tone

>me: in what way?

>salesperson: do you LEIK dimbag???

>me:..........

I'm not dissing dimebag, he just wasn't my cup-o-tea. It was hilarious watching the guy try and pwn me with a sale

• Members

Dumbest question I've heard asked at Guitar Center, "Do you sell any guitars that aren't dented, scratched or broken?"

True story. I actually heard someone ask a non-guitar playing sales lady that very question. 

What the hell happened to my old moniker? I signed up to post on this board.....

• Members

Really don't pay attention to others at guitar stores, but I've heard some really stupid things said by pawn shop employees. Had one recently get **** with me because he swore the 2002 MIM Strat on the wall was brand new. I offered to clue him in on the serial number system but since he was about 20 and obviously knew more about guitars than I at my advanced age could surely know, he wasn't interested.

• Members

I was speaking to a guy in a bar after one of our shows and it went something like this.

Guy:  What kind of guitar were you playing?

Me:  A Squier Jagmaster.  It's a bit cheap but I like it.

Guy:  Is it loud enough?

Me: What do you mean?

Guy:  I had a Mexican Fender Strat but the pickups were too quiet. 

Me:  That's weird.  Were the pickups faulty?

Guy:  No.  I had a guy check them out and he said they were fine.  They were just too quiet.

Me:  Pickups don't really come in different volumes.  Maybe you needed a louder amp.

Guy:  Dude...you know nothing about guitars.

Me:  At least I bought a guitar with loud enough pickups.

Guy: 

• Members

Was checking out a Jeff Tweedy SG (which I didn't buy and kind of regret it) and the guy goes "uh, yeah that one there is special...we, uh, had it shipped back to Gibson and they took the finish off the neck, so it's more of, uh, a shredder now...yeah, that one is special."  

GIB SG50W PBCL1\_R.jpg

Guy clearly didn't know the Tweedy's come with the natural finish neck standard so he BS'd an explanation although I hadn't asked for one.

• Members

I once saw a mom paying the tech to replace one string on her teenage son's squier. More power to the tech, I guess.

Another time, I was looking to buy a travel guitar. I wandered towards the full-sized acoustics just before a group of 12-13-year-olds walked in. One of them said, "Oh, look at the little baby guitars. I guess they're for little kids or people who can't afford a REAL guitar." I then went over and shredded away on a baby Taylor.

• Members

I have been asked questions by customers before at shops, probably because I look approachable and I don't suck. I don't mind helping.

I will say that I've always been treated well at the South Florida Guitar Center stores (Miami and Broward). Especially Kendall and Coconut Creek, very nice employees.

• Members

People don't generally come up to me and ask questions. Usually, if it's between me and a leper hobo, they ask the hobo. This allows me to avoid the awkward feeling of having to be nice to someone who looks like I'm holding a piece of smelly cheese under their nose.

I don't recall speaking to anyone in GC.

• Members

Sales guy to another sales guy, "If John Entwhistle is such a great bass player how come you can't hear him? I listened to Who's Next and the guy sucks."

So a dumb question followed by a dumber statement. I literally stopped and rubbed my eyes to see if I was awake and really heard what he said. The other sales guy and I made eye contact and that confirmed that the numbskull said it.

Archived