Tell me about Univox guitars please.

glassberg

• Members

Univox were a made in Japan guitar of highly variable quality.. some were pretty good, and can be made into reasonable decent playing guitars, others are truly worthless..They haven't been made in probably close to 30 years and prices are at a premium, especially for the higher end set neck guitars.. They are not great guitars, and you will pay a hefty sum to get a nice one... Some are pushing $1,000 now, and are simply NOT worth it as players, but if you get a real deal someplace on one, it may be a good investment.. Your average $200 MIC axe is a better made ,better playing guitar... bob

• Members

Its really hard to say just going by that. Throughout their years they were all over the place in quality and in the actual models they made. Lots of copies in their day. Some of their 335 copies and LP Jrs are actually quite good but they tend to bring way too much money these days.

• Members

I have a Univox LP with the "two-bolt" neck. Decent enough and it was my only electric guitar for many years of relative poverty and instability. The pickups were nice, but they both eventually croaked. The tuning keys were crap. It plays well.

I also, for awhile, had their "Hi-Flyer" Mosrite clone, which was kind of crummy.

And I have their "Professional" bass, which is a P-bass clone and which I would put up with any real P-bass I have ever played. And I own three real P-basses (MIA, MIM, MIM). Very nice and solid.

I would buy another Univox, but not unless I could see and play it first.

• Members

That Uni Junior copy is nice but at almost $600 you would be light years ahead with a Hamer USA which is in a similar price range.. Even the Gibson Faded LP DC would be better, for even less $$ than the UNI.. Like I said, some UNI's are cool, but they are now well into the vintage buyers/collectors realm, and prices don't justify the return UNLESS you are investing... bob

• Members

I bought this in '70 for $25. I use it for slide only and it sounds great for that. I installed a new nut and a Gotoh bridge and tailpiece a few years ago. It used to have those dreadful nylon saddles on it. Also, there is no tear in the chair. I don't know what that white splotch is?

univox.jpg

• Members

That is almost identical to the Kapa hollowbody. The pickups are identical to those on my Kapa Continental.

I have found several other guitars that are EXACTLY identical to this save the name... Epiphone and Aria (among others) had models of this that were clearly from the same production line at Matsumoku.

• 10 months later...
  • Members

Can any of you tell me what model, where and possibly when my univox was made. It's a mexican killer.. It plays and sounds very good, good as any strat MIM/USA I have played in a while.. Seems to be 100% original and was owned by an older gentleman since new.

It doesn't state Japan anywhere on the guitar?

Serial number/sticker on neck plate reads.... STP305CSS

Thanks for any help, this guitar has me boggled..

483944i_20.jpeg

1003595a.jpg

1003614zk3.jpg

• Members

Can any of you tell me what model, where and possibly when my univox was made. It's a mexican killer.. It plays and sounds very good, good as any strat MIM/USA I have played in a while.. Seems to be 100% original and was owned by an older gentleman since new.

It doesn't state Japan anywhere on the guitar but, I assume just by the way it plays and sounds that it is none other than a japan guitar of the 1970's?

Serial number/sticker on neck plate reads.... STP305CSS

Thanks for any help, this guitar has me boggled..

<A
http://img1.classistatic.com/cps/l/kj/09/3/2/350/r6/483944i_20.jpeg >

1003595a.jpg

<A
http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/9494/1003614zk3.jpg >

Hmmm...see "80's Strat Copy" http://www.univox.org/guitars/unknown.html

"Need More Info" :idk:

80s_strat-front-head.jpg

Archived