Rickenbacker Fans!

docjeffrey

• Members

Let's post some Rick stuff. I put together this video awhile back and then promptly forgot about it. I found it on my iPad today when I was working on my Mark V video.

Love the Rick Hi Gains--very underrated single coils. They really work great with the EF86 channel in this Vox.

So, here it is. My Rick 620 thru a Vox AC15 TV1H (or is it 1HTV?). 

rick620.jpg

• Members

I can't put my new Ric 330 down! It's caused me to sell everything I own because I don't want anything else.

Rics are the best... And I have big hands. People that use their skinny necks as excuses haven't sat down with one. The neck just fills your hand perfectly.

• Members

Keep 'em coming!

You can really hear the second order harmonics jumping out of that EF86 Channel on my Vox. The sound is a little boxy--I might have had the amp too close to the wall when I recorded the clip, but it still sounds very much like an original, non-Top Boost Vox from the early 60's. Love it!

OK, here's something that will blow your mind. I should have recorded a clip with this setup (I may have, I'll check my iPad). Three, count 'em, three capos on my 360-12. The top one is a Spider Capo with harmonic gloves and it's set up to play the harmonics on the 1st, 3rd, 4th, and 5th strings at the 12th fret. The middle Spider Capo is holding down the 3rd, 4th and 5th strings for a faux DADGAD tuning up a few steps, and the thrid capo is just fretting all of the notes at the 4th fret. 

Remember, this is a 12 stringer--yes, the Spider Capo works great on a 12.

3capos.jpg

And here's a shot of my Rick 360-6 keeping my Custom Shop Strat company in front of their respective favorite amps. Notice that it has vintage scatterwound toasters like my 12 string.

voxstrat.jpg

• Members

I'm absolutely in love with my Ric 360. I bought it as a graduation present to myself when I finished my medical degree and became a fully fledged Doctor. 

Rickenbacker 360

I guess I use mine slightly more unconventionally though. It is used for pretty much the entirety of this track (with my Classic Player 50s Strat doing the occasional lead overdub). People always comment that they "didn't expect a Rickenbacker to sound like that!" :catsurprised:

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Members

These are my "Ric Brothers".  Bought the '68 360/6 new, when I was a young rocker, and the 360V64/12 joined the family much later.  What I love about the 360/6, besides the Ric sound and playability, is the Bird's eye maple finish!  Haven't seen many with this finish over the years.  Anyone know if this is uncommon?

Ric Bros.jpg

• Members

Ok, I've only played the 660. Amazing tones, very unique. But the neck (to me) is awful. Squared off by the fretboard, which makes wraparound chords awkward, and glossy finished fretboard, which makes bar slides sticky. They say get used to it for the sake of tone, but I have decided that I'll have to build a Rickenfaker to get the Rick sound.

I still enjoy these threads, though, since Ricks look awesome and I like the pics and clips.

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

Ok, I've only played the 660. Amazing tones, very unique. But the neck (to me) is awful. Squared off by the fretboard, which makes wraparound chords awkward, and glossy finished fretboard, which makes bar slides sticky. They say get used to it for the sake of tone, but I have decided that I'll have to build a Rickenfaker to get the Rick sound.

I still enjoy these threads, though, since Ricks look awesome and I like the pics and clips.

The 660 doesn't have the same neck as the 620, 330, or 360.

Archived