Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rickenbacker Fans!

Let's post some Rick stuff. I put together this video awhile back and then promptly forgot about it. I found it on my iPad today when I was working on my Mark V video.

Love the Rick Hi Gains--very underrated single coils. They really work great with the EF86 channel in this Vox.

So, here it is. My Rick 620 thru a Vox AC15 TV1H (or is it 1HTV?). 

rick620.jpg

Attached Files

The opening guitar on this song is a guitar identical to yours.  Yeah, Ric High Gainers are pretty much one of my favorite pickups.

http://www.reverbnation.com/prettyvoices/song/15836022-crackle-pop

Hear our stuff at: theprettyvoices.bandcamp.com

Comment

• docjeffrey
      docjeffrey commented
      Editing a comment

Very cool song! The 620 sounds killer--a bit cleaner than my clip.

I can't put my new Ric 330 down! It's caused me to sell everything I own because I don't want anything else.

Rics are the best... And I have big hands. People that use their skinny necks as excuses haven't sat down with one. The neck just fills your hand perfectly.
    Gibson Les Paul Jr. / Rockinbetter 330, Rickenbacker 360
    Fender '59 Bassman RI / Sovtek mig100h / VHT lead 40
    Russian Big Muff / DIY FY-2 "companion fuzz"

Originally Posted by donnie_combat

G&L's are the most un creative stupid pieces of crap on the planet. if you want something decent and real go for fender~

Comment

• docjeffrey
      docjeffrey commented
      Editing a comment

Keep 'em coming!

You can really hear the second order harmonics jumping out of that EF86 Channel on my Vox. The sound is a little boxy--I might have had the amp too close to the wall when I recorded the clip, but it still sounds very much like an original, non-Top Boost Vox from the early 60's. Love it!

OK, here's something that will blow your mind. I should have recorded a clip with this setup (I may have, I'll check my iPad). Three, count 'em, three capos on my 360-12. The top one is a Spider Capo with harmonic gloves and it's set up to play the harmonics on the 1st, 3rd, 4th, and 5th strings at the 12th fret. The middle Spider Capo is holding down the 3rd, 4th and 5th strings for a faux DADGAD tuning up a few steps, and the thrid capo is just fretting all of the notes at the 4th fret. 

Remember, this is a 12 stringer--yes, the Spider Capo works great on a 12.

3capos.jpg

And here's a shot of my Rick 360-6 keeping my Custom Shop Strat company in front of their respective favorite amps. Notice that it has vintage scatterwound toasters like my 12 string.

voxstrat.jpg

Attached Files

I'm absolutely in love with my Ric 360. I bought it as a graduation present to myself when I finished my medical degree and became a fully fledged Doctor. 

Rickenbacker 360

I guess I use mine slightly more unconventionally though. It is used for pretty much the entirety of this track (with my Classic Player 50s Strat doing the occasional lead overdub). People always comment that they "didn't expect a Rickenbacker to sound like that!" :catsurprised:

Attached Files
    My band: www.facebook.com/krishband

FANTASTIC Deals with joeyowen, ChuckNorris1982, Vintage_freak[/SIZE]

Comment

• docjeffrey
      docjeffrey commented
      Editing a comment
      That's really cool, and, yes, Ricks are versatile especially if you have Hi Gains. I like to run my 620 through a Marshall Plexi style amp. Great distortion tones.

Im quite a fan of my 4003

Gear:
    Cort m200 (with SD 59/JB combo)
    Ampeg Dan Armstrong
    Gibson Firebird Studio
    Gibson Explorer x2 (natural/white)
    Gibson LP studio
    Squier Tele Custom II
    Godin LG EMG
    Hello Kitty Strat
    Edwards LPC
    Jackson COW 6
    Jim Root Strat
    ESP Eclipse I DBSB
    Billy Corgan Strat
    50s Tribute Goldtop HB
    Squier Mini Strat
    Fender Cabronita Tele

Comment

Where can you buy a Rick in South Africa? I've been looking around and can't find any.

Comment

These are my "Ric Brothers".  Bought the '68 360/6 new, when I was a young rocker, and the 360V64/12 joined the family much later.  What I love about the 360/6, besides the Ric sound and playability, is the Bird's eye maple finish!  Haven't seen many with this finish over the years.  Anyone know if this is uncommon?

Ric Bros.jpg

Attached Files

Comment

Ok, I've only played the 660. Amazing tones, very unique. But the neck (to me) is awful. Squared off by the fretboard, which makes wraparound chords awkward, and glossy finished fretboard, which makes bar slides sticky. They say get used to it for the sake of tone, but I have decided that I'll have to build a Rickenfaker to get the Rick sound.

I still enjoy these threads, though, since Ricks look awesome and I like the pics and clips.
        Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

• Bucksstudent
          Bucksstudent commented
          Editing a comment

kayd_mon wrote:
          Ok, I've only played the 660. Amazing tones, very unique. But the neck (to me) is awful. Squared off by the fretboard, which makes wraparound chords awkward, and glossy finished fretboard, which makes bar slides sticky. They say get used to it for the sake of tone, but I have decided that I'll have to build a Rickenfaker to get the Rick sound.

I still enjoy these threads, though, since Ricks look awesome and I like the pics and clips.

The 660 doesn't have the same neck as the 620, 330, or 360.

Do they all have the glossy fretboard though?
        Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

• Bucksstudent
          Bucksstudent commented
          Editing a comment

kayd_mon wrote:
          Do they all have the glossy fretboard though?

Yeah, but that's a plus for me. It made bends easier.

Family pic w/ my 620 on the right. It's an '83 that I've had since '89.

High gains are the pickups that I measure all others against. Love the sounds that come out of that gee-tar!family.jpg

Attached Files
        Good trades/transactions with: DARKMETL/, L6Sguy, Freeridstylee, ck3, Solcat, dolflundgren, tweedledee, _pete_, rawk out, GibsonQC, strangegrey, tomh777, Brendan, Mike Fiasco, Yavin

Comment

I just picked this up a couple weeks ago used from GuitarCenter and it is absolutely perfect! I love its feel and its sound!

Rickenbacker360a[1].jpgRickenbacker360b[1].jpg

Attached Files
          Guitars:Fender 50th Anniv. USA Ultra - Rickenbacker 360 - Gibson LP Trad. Mahogany Satin - PRS Std 22 - '13 Gibson SG Std - Fender MIM Strat (VG20 p'ups) - '78 Guild D40
          Heads: Mesa Dual Rec (Rev. F) - Soldano Astroverb - Marshall JVM205 Combos:Swart AST - '75 Fender Vibro Champ - 3 Monkeys Sock Monkey

Comment

Working...
          X