X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird hum

I've just moved into a new apartment and my amps hum like crazy, esp. with the spring reverb on. The amps are fine and the apartment too. The electrician came to my flat and spotted two potential external causes : railway cables at the back of the house and mobile phone antenna next to it. He says he's not sure what is the cause but confirms that the power sockets are nice and grounded. 

Has this happened in a place where you play ? Is there anything I can do except from attacking the trains in a wild west kind of way?

Thanks. Have a nice day.

Manny
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font face="Verdana"><font size="1"><font color="slategray">&quot;The blues is the recognition of a tragedy, and the optimism to deal with it&quot; (Fruteland Jackson)<br />
    <br />
    &quot;You may think you're playing your instrument, but what you're really playing is the audience&quot; (anonymous)</font></font></font></div>

You can try one of these,

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HumX/

Besides being a guitar player,
    I'm a big fan of the guitar.
    I love that damn instrument.
    -Steve Vai

Comment

• mschafft
      mschafft commented
      Editing a comment

Cheers man. I need to find one for Swiss cords.

Also, try a different cable.

Comment

Tip.
      Read the OP first.
      Don't pick a fight with an old man,
      If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

'' Who, me Officer?''

Comment

• onelife
        onelife commented
        Editing a comment
        thanks - i should really do that from now on

it might be worth it to turn things off in the apartment in case there is a chance it can be solved that easily

I've been experimenting a little more. With single coils I have to stand at a particular angle to mute the hum. Perpendicular to the railway cables outside that is. Things are much better with humbuckers.
      <div class="signaturecontainer"><font face="Verdana"><font size="1"><font color="slategray">&quot;The blues is the recognition of a tragedy, and the optimism to deal with it&quot; (Fruteland Jackson)<br />
      <br />
      &quot;You may think you're playing your instrument, but what you're really playing is the audience&quot; (anonymous)</font></font></font></div>

Comment

• gardo
        gardo commented
        Editing a comment

mschafft wrote:
        I've been experimenting a little more. With single coils I have to stand at a particular angle to mute the hum. Perpendicular to the railway cables outside that is. Things are much better with humbuckers.

This is why I went with noiseless pickups on my Tele, .

Working...
    X