Dawgtown pickups? Are they really boutique?

V-Type

• Members

I was researching a guy on my local CL who is offering impressively Relic'd Squires with complete electronic and hardware upgrades."His list is for $400 -$500 per guitar btw".

The pickups he hangs his hat on are called Dawgtown pickups from an EBay dealer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220482335986

The specs read really impressive but I have yet too try or hear them.

Anyone have a clue on these "boutique hand wound USA" pieces?

• Members

I'm not familiar with that specific brand. But in general, my experiences with boutique builders is good.

It seems that a lot of people started experimenting with building pickups when Stewart MacDonald started selling pickup winding machines for $400. It seems that a lot of people started with the pickup kits that Stew Mac sells and started slapping a name brand on the pickups they made at the kitchen table or in the garage workshop.

I experimented with a few sets of Sin Bucker humbuckers. They are made by Chris Carter. The alnico 5 set he made for me is nothing short of great. I had him make a set of alnico 2 PAFs that are very good as well as a set of alnico 3 PAFs. I use the a3's in my Peavey Generation EXP tele copy with 250k pots. They are very good. The A2s are also very good but I will probably sell the set. I'm not using them and I really prefer the roundness of A5.

If you want a really great boutique pickup talk to Bryan at BG pickups (Norcal_GIT_r on the forum). He makes great stuff. The MM90 that he made for my Melody Maker is fantastic.

I also have a set of Keystone pickups made by Bill Lawrence (the man not the company) that are great. Get them while you can. They are sealed in epoxy and are almost noiseless for about $75 per set or less.

• 10 months later...
  • Members

I know the maker, I play for a living and use two guitars he reworked for me a number of years ago. They are incredible and I feel lucky because he's doing only pickups now (his guitar set-up was tops). His stuff is masterful, he's a one-man all hand-made shop in Wisconsin. He's now putting a set of his '59s in one of my strats as well as reworking a lap steel for me too. It was hard to choose what to get, he's got some great options. In exchange we're going to help him get set up better so players can find him. He sells to repeat customers around the world (including builders) but is still not known very well. He's a classic artisan - great at what he does, it's all he wants to do so he's far less interested in spending time on other things like promo. In an age of constant hype, I dig that. He's one of my favorite people too, a truly generous guy.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Actually, I just scored a Roadworn Strat with Dawgtown pickups (found this thread after the guitar arrived). Any further information about the maker? Haven't had a chance to plug in the guitar but they certainly look the part.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I was researching handwound custom pickups for some time. I finally decided that I wanted the Dawgtown pickups for my jimi woodstock 69 white strat project. Read his add on ebay     when John says tone is not a part time hobby for him he is not kidding. THESE ARE THE BEST PICKUPS OUT THERE PERIOD. I have other custom wounds  and I do love my Lindy Frails.... but these are first class  and the right sound. There is a reason why doing things the old fashion way by hand with original materials works and sounds better than dipped plastic and assembly line cost cutting production.....Maybe that is why they are up there with my best guitars like the vintage 1965 Strat............if it was good enough for Leo Fender.....Hey why do you think Leo used the materials he did?  Because he laboriously tested and re tested all kinds of materials and he did not worry about production costs while doing it...........So when John at Dawgtown  makes them by hand with all the right materials why wouldnt they be top notch? I don't know John but I liked his hands on approach and his communication. I can recommend his pickups without hesitation.

These pickups are the best ........  and for the money ....affordable.  When I get to my killer grain ash body Telecaster project this fall I will be asking John at Dawgtown to work his magic for me...Any questions? email me at  capdefendr@aol.com

thanks

Barry Butler

Fairfield,CT.

• Members

defender slide guitar wrote:

I was researching handwound custom pickups for some time. I finally decided that I wanted the Dawgtown pickups for my jimi woodstock 69 white strat project. Read his add on ebay     when John says tone is not a part time hobby for him he is not kidding. THESE ARE THE BEST PICKUPS OUT THERE PERIOD. I have other custom wounds  and I do love my Lindy Frails.... but these are first class  and the right sound. There is a reason why doing things the old fashion way by hand with original materials works and sounds better than dipped plastic and assembly line cost cutting production.....Maybe that is why they are up there with my best guitars like the vintage 1965 Strat............if it was good enough for Leo Fender.....
Hey why do you think Leo used the materials he did?  Because he laboriously tested and re tested all kinds of materials and he did not worry about production costs while doing it...
........So when John at Dawgtown  makes them by hand with all the right materials why wouldnt they be top notch? I don't know John but I liked his hands on approach and his communication. I can recommend his pickups without hesitation.

These pickups are the best ........  and for the money ....affordable.  When I get to my killer grain ash body Telecaster project this fall I will be asking John at Dawgtown to work his magic for me...Any questions? email me at 

thanks

Barry Butler

Fairfield,CT.

lol...now that is funny!

• Members

Barry Butler of Fairfield, CT -

Welcome. Seemingly good pickups. Tell us about your research please. Facts or opinion?

The eBay listing was taken down. I'm always looking for exceptional pickups.

Tell us more. Thanks.

• 5 months later...

Archived