Villex Strat jack mid booster - anyone tried it?

Karma1

• Members

http://villex.com/stratocaster_jack_replacement_booster.html

A friend of mine sent me a link to this product and it looks pretty cool. It's a replacement jack for a Strat with a switch on it for mid boost. It's supposed to give your single coils a fatter, slightly more humbucker sound, without messing with the traditional single coil sound too much. It installs in two minutes with no soldering. The little bit of feedback I've read on line was pretty positive, but just wondering if anyone here has one or has tried it?

• Members

In my mind, that's something that can just go at my feet. I only see an advantage to an instrument mounted EQ/Boost when you only want it to effect one pickup.

I see your point, but the last thing I need is something else on the floor in front of me. At my feet I've already got a Zoom G9.2tt and Roland GR33, which together take up almost three and a half feet of floor space. Sometimes I 'll also add an SMMH, Mesa V-Twin, or some other pedal. So a tiny instrument mounted toggle switch is something that appeals to me.

But I'm interested to hear how the Villex sounds. There is a very short clip on their website, but it's just a clean tone. I'm curious how it is with distortion as well.

• Members

I prefer adjusting controls on the instrument itself rather than hook up yet another pedal. If I ever had a custom made instrument, it would have separate rhythm and lead circuits to act as almost a built in volume/eq pedal -a bit like a jazzmaster, only I think the rhythm setting only works with the neck pickup on a JM.

• Members

http://villex.com/stratocaster_jack_replacement_booster.html

A friend of mine sent me a link to this product and it looks pretty cool. It's a replacement jack for a Strat with a switch on it for mid boost. It's supposed to give your single coils a fatter, slightly more humbucker sound, without messing with the traditional single coil sound too much. It installs in two minutes with no soldering. The little bit of feedback I've read on line was pretty positive, but just wondering if anyone here has one or has tried it?

They have a newer version that has a three way switch as well. It's not bad. It does perform as promised.

I prefer it to a pedal simply because it's passive, one less battery to worry about. Another option (not passive though) is the Alembic "Blaster" (Formerly known as the "Strat-o-blaster).

I have the Villex, wsa contemplating selling it, but decided to go ahead and keep it. I may sell it eventually because it's not a "must have" thing.

So . . . to summarize . . . it works as promised, but I'm not so impressed that I wouldn't give it up. :).

• Members

They have a newer version that has a three way switch as well. It's not bad. It does perform as promised.

I prefer it to a pedal simply because it's passive, one less battery to worry about. Another option (not passive though) is the Alembic "Blaster" (Formerly known as the "Strat-o-blaster).

I have the Villex, wsa contemplating selling it, but decided to go ahead and keep it. I may sell it eventually because it's not a "must have" thing.

So . . . to summarize . . . it works as promised, but I'm not so impressed that I wouldn't give it up.
:)

What does the three way switch do, ie. the difference between that and the two way?

• Members

What does the three way switch do, ie. the difference between that and the two way?

Two levels of boost.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Villex-passive-booster-SJMB-Solderless-3-Way-Switch_W0QQitemZ320466735854QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item4a9d4e52ee

There is a noticeable difference between each switch setting. Whether it's actually a practical, usable difference or not is questionable :).

• Members

I have one on my partscaster (you can see the switch by the input jack). I really like it a lot w/ dirt, adds extra gain/mids. With it off on the bridge position, the guitar sounds very stratty as it should, but activated it almost gets into Les Paul territory (fwiw, the body is mahogany and the neck is Gibson scale- kind of a Strat/Paul hybrid of sorts). I don't use the boost much w/ cleans, but it's a really nice option to have w/ dirt, makes the guitar much fatter sounding which is a good thing :)

Gilmour1.jpg

• Members

The little bit of feedback I've read on line was pretty positive, but just wondering if anyone here has one or has tried it?

Just a thought...you have a set of passive components in a housing small enough to fit in a jack route for $112 bucks...now, being that it's passive, it's not really boosting the signal like a stomp box would or an active preamp like the Fender TBX circuit (which you can buy the entire kit for cheaper than this or the GFS version for 30 bucks). Torres sells a similar mid boost kit as a replacement tone pot for 14 bucks.

• Members

Torres sells a similar mid boost kit as a replacement tone pot for 14 bucks.

Which would be a better option

{censored} paying $112 for an input jack. I don't care what all these boutique guitar companies say, you can get the same {censored}, without their {censored}ty name for a {censored}load cheaper

• Members
Just a thought...you have a set of passive components in a housing small enough to fit in a jack route for $112 bucks...now, being that it's passive, it's not really boosting the signal like a stomp box would or an active preamp like the Fender TBX circuit (which you can buy the entire kit for cheaper than this or the GFS version for 30 bucks). Torres sells a similar mid boost kit as a replacement tone pot for 14 bucks.

The Villex is passive, but it does somehow boost the signal while adding mids (much like an active preamp)- definitely pushes a tube amp into overdrive. Not exactly sure how it works from an electronics standpoint, but I can assure you that it does this. Bottom line is that it sounds great and really makes the guitar far more tonally versatile...

• Members

It does boost the signal. Most definitely. How, I couldn't tell you, but it does.

It's also far simpler to install than the other options you mentioned. Took all of 2 minutes from start to finish.

• Members

I have one on my partscaster (you can see the switch by the input jack). I really like it a lot w/ dirt, adds extra gain/mids. With it off on the bridge position, the guitar sounds very stratty as it should, but activated it almost gets into Les Paul territory (fwiw, the body is mahogany and the neck is Gibson scale- kind of a Strat/Paul hybrid of sorts). I don't use the boost much w/ cleans, but it's a really nice option to have w/ dirt, makes the guitar much fatter sounding which is a good thing
:)

Gilmour1.jpg

:love:

I can't see any downside to having it...only makes the Strat even more versatile. You've already got tons of options just plugging straight in. :cool:

• Members

Let us know how you get on, mate. This is an extremely tempting thing for me, and I might just give in.

surf.jpg

I might end up putting it on my existing jackplate with a bit of drilling... I don't really like the white and the logo on the one that comes with the switch. All chrome, baby :cool:

• 3 years later...
  • Members

Greetings Karma1, tonequester here.

I am getting a Villex Strat mid range booster jack soon. It;s just been shipped. I was impressed by the sound bite available at www.villex.com, so I called them up. I ended up talking for a half hour with the owner/designer William Villex. I wanted to make sure this was not a simple bass cut, treble cut, imitating a mid range boost. He was rather hard to understand, owing to his thick accent(Russian ?), but I got enough out of our conversation that my suspicion was relieved. I happened to mention that it would take a couple of weeks to come up with the money. He asked me my opinion on how to best get the word around about his product, saying that "he's good at circuit, not so good at business". I told him to get on the forums, and emailed him a list of several, including this one. I couldn't beleive it when he emailed me back saying that he was sending me the jack with no cash up front. He did get on Strat Talk, and diy audio, but in my opinion, he was "bullied" right from ther start. He gave alot of technical explanation about how the jack worked, but because he wouldn't just come out and divulge the circuit in detail. a few turds were rather insulting. He let me know he didn't have time, to pretty much convince the unconvincable, but he asked me if when I have the jack, I would report back to the forums my MUSICAL opinion, and that is really the most important thing to me. I will report back when I've got it installed, and I'm trying to figure out how to go about posting a sound bite of my own(I'm fairly new to computers and forums). There is a review that you might want to read that has praise and criticism of the jack. It's by Bob Thomas. The link is : www.soundonsound.com/pm/oct07/articles/villexbooster.htm. He believes that it will be great in some applications, but not so great in others. I think that pretty much applies to every bit of modification technology out there, and I started modding guitars and amps around 1981-82. That's about all I can say about it at present, although I will say that not having to solder it into the guitars circuit is a fine idea, and making it switchable is a must. He offers a booster that is cheaper but it is not a jack, and is not of itself switchable. As I said, I will be posting soon, after I have it in hand, installed.

Glad to make your aquaintence Karma1.     tonequester out.

• Members

Greetings etawful, tonequester here.

Dan Torres helped me bet into modding guitars and amps way back in 1981-82 and I know his mid-range booster pot(and most of his other "stuff" well). The Villex jack is soooooo much more than the Torres pot. Dan's an o.k. guy, and some of his products are good, but some things that he advised me on led to the flame out of a 1960 Fender Princeton that would be worth big bucks now, if it hadn't ended up in a dumpster in '97. I won't be sure if the $112.00 is fair until I have it hooked up to my own gear, but since he offered me one FREE, I don't doubt his integrity. I defended him on Strat Talk and diy audio. He was being fairly well bullied by a few who wanted him to basically post a damned schematic with values and part numbers. Villex has just shipped my jack, no money up front. I told him right is right,  and I'll send him a money order upon receiving the jack. I'll post back then. Glad to make your aquaintence. best regards, tonequester.

Archived