Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar Techniques Magazine?

I was in Barnes and Nobles last night and came across this. Good stuff, but hefty price. I figured I'd go home and see what the subscription is - $135 a year

So - is it worth it?

No, for $135 you could buy half the good guitar technique books out there.

I'd rather subscribe to something like Guitarist, which has techniques, interviews and gear reviews.
    | Fender | Gibson | Two-Rock |

Hear it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMWwDV2_MU0

Comment

Yes, I feel it's the best guitar magazine available.

Comment

It'd be cheaper if it weren't being imported from the UK..

It's a great magazine though and every issues I've seen has a lot of worthwhile info.

Comment

It is a fantastic magazine but whether or not it's worth the price (especially at US prices) or not is a decision only you can make. I have a years worth of the magazine and figure there is enough material in there to get me through the next 3 years easily. If you are going to stay on top of all the lessons then I would say it's definitely worth it but if you aren't then it might be more worthwhile to just pick up the occasional issue in the store.
          At UK prices it seems like it would be a no-brainer.

I really wish all the guitar magazines would start doing proper electronic issues as well. You can get a digital subscription to Guitar Techniques through Zinio but it's basically just a PDF version and you don't get any access to the CD tracks which is where a lot of the value is IMO.

Comment

I have almost every single issue. Go for it.

They had Eric Roche, Guthrie Govan, Kilminster and several other 'serious player' guys in the alumni.
            "It's all sratched up, Zuzu"Your wattage may vary

Comment

• eyedoc26
              eyedoc26 commented
              Editing a comment

Hey AKA...I just discovered Guitar Tech. Mag and I am looking for someone with a large collection that may want to sell them...I would only wnat them if the have the included CD's in working condition.

Let me know if you may be interested in selling your mags or if you know someone with a large collecton who might.

Thanks,

Eyedoc

Guitar Techniques on Zinio for only $70 for 13 issues:

http://www.zinio.com/browse/publications/index.jsp?productId=500258027

I have never seen it before, but now I'm going to check it out!
            Great transactions with: JRguitar, cbh5150, others forgotten.
            - '92 Gibson Les Paul Classic Plus
            - '06 Martin D-16R
            - '07 Little Martin
            - '12 Traveler Speedster Hot Rod
            - Marshall JMP-1C
            - Marshall Class 5
            - Marshall DSL401
            - Egnater Tweaker
            - Yamaha THR10

Fitness & Nutrition Forum

Comment

It seems like an awesome magazine from the one issue I have! I am definitely going to check out Zinio because $70 is a lot better than $135!
              http://www.danacheron.com

Comment

$125 for 13 issues at Amazon. I'd have to check out a newsstand issue first though. No matter how good the mag is, there's too much chance that it either has stuff you already know or stuff you won't keep up with monthly - even though it may be good stuff.
                You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.

(Hey, if you like the avatar, check out the art work of John Howe)

Comment

Guitar Techniques on Zinio for only $70 for 13 issues:

http://www.zinio.com/browse/publications/index.jsp?productId=500258027

I have never seen it before, but now I'm going to check it out!

Just a few words of caution: The $70 price at that link is for the digital subscription. The fine print says - as someone pointed out - "This digital version of the magazine does not currently include the covermount items or content you would find on printed newsstand copies"

Comment

Have to say that guitar techniques is THE best guitar magazine for learning and developing your knowledge, theory, and....... um.... technique?
                    It has the best lessons too, and covers loads of styles, and is catered more towards the intermediate-advanced guitarists, although it does have its fair share of begginer lessons too.

For me, its probably the worst magazine i could buy. I subscribe to guitarist and Total Guitar, although im going to cancel the Total Guitar. They are also full of lessons although not as much as Techniques does. I Get these magazines, and don't ever get round to sitting down with the tutorials and learning anything.

IMO Guitarist is the best, its probably about 15% Lessons, 15% Articles, (with a column by our very own CSM) 45% GEAR! (reviews), and 25% Ads (thats not too bad these days!)

Wooooooooohoooooooooooooo!
                    Wanna See the Original 70s Fender Starcaster re-issued?
                    Sign the Petition!! link below (takes less than a minute, and its FREE! just skip the donation page) Do it!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/fender70sstarcaster/

Thanks for all your support so far!
                    Signature count = 713!!! (26/Sept/2011)

Comment

It's a great mag, I've bought it before.

You do get what you pay for. Just sayin'.
                      --
                      Wagdog
                      Check out Lunar Commander on:
                      iTunes App Store
                      Google Play

Lunar Commander Lite - FREE!:
                      iTunes App Store
                      Google Play

Free Fireworks Show for Android

"Albert King could blow Eddie Van Halen away with his amp on stand-by"
                      - Joe Walsh

Good Transactions: Doctor Morbius(x2), Cadfael, bg-pups.com(x2), DCinDC, twotimingpete, dwerlin, DaleH, chqtarzan, sxyryan, lowbrow, albertus, vintage clubber

Comment

Just a few words of caution: The $70 price at that link is for the digital subscription. The fine print says - as someone pointed out - "This digital version of the magazine does not currently include the covermount items or content you would find on printed newsstand copies"

GOOD CLARIFICATION.

Yes - I was talking about the digital version for Zinio. I probably shouldn't assume everyone knows what Zinio is.

If you don't - it's a platform for serving up DIGITAL versions of popular magazines for reading on iPhone, iPad, or Mac (there might be a PC app version too, but I'm not sure). ANyway - I currently have Business Week, Road & Track, and a couple others and it works quite well (especially on the ipad). I just downloaded a single version of Guitar Techniques to check out the content.

Before subscribing to the digital version, I'll have to think about the fact that I would be missing the included CDs with the audio for the lessons and such.

Anyway - thanks for the heads up on Guitar Techniques - I'm looking forward to browsing a few issues.
                        Great transactions with: JRguitar, cbh5150, others forgotten.
                        - '92 Gibson Les Paul Classic Plus
                        - '06 Martin D-16R
                        - '07 Little Martin
                        - '12 Traveler Speedster Hot Rod
                        - Marshall JMP-1C
                        - Marshall Class 5
                        - Marshall DSL401
                        - Egnater Tweaker
                        - Yamaha THR10

Fitness & Nutrition Forum

Comment

You're welcome, and while we're at it ... Thanks for the heads up on Zinio.

Comment

I think it's worth it. I buy GT instead of taking lessons, something I find hard to fit into my schedule on a regular basis.

Comment

Working...
                            X