Guitar Techniques Magazine?

Gas Hed

• Members

It is a fantastic magazine but whether or not it's worth the price (especially at US prices) or not is a decision only you can make. I have a years worth of the magazine and figure there is enough material in there to get me through the next 3 years easily. If you are going to stay on top of all the lessons then I would say it's definitely worth it but if you aren't then it might be more worthwhile to just pick up the occasional issue in the store.

At UK prices it seems like it would be a no-brainer.

I really wish all the guitar magazines would start doing proper electronic issues as well. You can get a digital subscription to Guitar Techniques through Zinio but it's basically just a PDF version and you don't get any access to the CD tracks which is where a lot of the value is IMO.

• Members

Guitar Techniques on Zinio for only $70 for 13 issues:

I have never seen it before, but now I'm going to check it out!

Just a few words of caution: The $70 price at that link is for the digital subscription. The fine print says - as someone pointed out - "This digital version of the magazine does not currently include the covermount items or content you would find on printed newsstand copies"

• Members

Have to say that guitar techniques is THE best guitar magazine for learning and developing your knowledge, theory, and....... um.... technique?

It has the best lessons too, and covers loads of styles, and is catered more towards the intermediate-advanced guitarists, although it does have its fair share of begginer lessons too.

For me, its probably the worst magazine i could buy. I subscribe to guitarist and Total Guitar, although im going to cancel the Total Guitar. They are also full of lessons although not as much as Techniques does. I Get these magazines, and don't ever get round to sitting down with the tutorials and learning anything.

IMO Guitarist is the best, its probably about 15% Lessons, 15% Articles, (with a column by our very own CSM) 45% GEAR! (reviews), and 25% Ads (thats not too bad these days!)

Wooooooooohoooooooooooooo!

• Members

Just a few words of caution: The $70 price at that link is for the
digital
subscription. The fine print says - as someone pointed out - "This digital version of the magazine does not currently include the covermount items or content you would find on printed newsstand copies"

GOOD CLARIFICATION.

Yes - I was talking about the digital version for Zinio. I probably shouldn't assume everyone knows what Zinio is.

If you don't - it's a platform for serving up DIGITAL versions of popular magazines for reading on iPhone, iPad, or Mac (there might be a PC app version too, but I'm not sure). ANyway - I currently have Business Week, Road & Track, and a couple others and it works quite well (especially on the ipad). I just downloaded a single version of Guitar Techniques to check out the content.

Before subscribing to the digital version, I'll have to think about the fact that I would be missing the included CDs with the audio for the lessons and such.

Anyway - thanks for the heads up on Guitar Techniques - I'm looking forward to browsing a few issues.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Hey AKA...I just discovered Guitar Tech. Mag and I am looking for someone with a large collection that may want to sell them...I would only wnat them if the have the included CD's in working condition.

Let me know if you may be interested in selling your mags or if you know someone with a large collecton who might.

Thanks,

Eyedoc

• Members

Now...no. I've subscribed for the last 10 years and I'm about to cancel my subscription. The number of actual transcriptions has declined in the last few years, due no doubt to increasing costs from ASCAP/BMI and music industry **** trying to suck every last dime out of their dying enterprise. It's not their fault, and the style-based columns continue to be great, but I compare recent issues to those from 10 years ago and the difference is apparent. I've got enough issues in the can to last me forever.

Even when they do transcribe an actual song, they now scrimp on the parts they transcribe for space reasons or somesuch. That being said, it beats every American guitar mag hands down.

Archived