Low volume on bridge pickup in a strat.

SuperStrat1977

• Members

I've been recently having problems with the bridge pickup in a Squier Bullet Strat. The volume in position 1 (bridge pickup only) is way lower than the rest of the pickups in the remaining switch positions. I changed the bridge pickup to a different one to see if it was a bad pickup, but it made no difference. Does anybody have any idea what else could be the cause?

• Members

Did you just notice or was there a sudden drop in output that rendered the bridge deficient? What happens is the string energy is weakest near the bridge and increases going toward the neck where the string oscillations are bigger. It could be that you just need to raise the bridge pickup a 16th" or so.

• Members

1001gear wrote:

Did you just notice or was there a sudden drop in output that rendered the bridge deficient? What happens is the string energy is weakest near the bridge and increases going toward the neck where the string oscillations are bigger. It could be that you just need to raise the bridge pickup a 16th" or so.

Hadn't thought of that. It is a possibility. Raising the pup might also help as the pickup could be pinching a wire somewhere. As weird as it sounds, I had this problem in an SG not long ago. Raised the pickup and magically, it worked again. Guitars are temperamental creatures...

Archived