scalloped necks.. how to order..

cybersecretary

• Members

hey everyone,

I was looking at the scalloped strat necks at warmoth and all parts and e bay. thought i could save some $$ and get one for a gift for hubby  birthday. it's a big one...50..ugh! did i just say that!

He is great at fixing amps and guitars , building pedals..and at first i thought i would get him a plain neck and he can scallop it himself...(he has never done that and you have to start somewhere if you want to try to DIY)

although he has so many projects going on it would be nice to just get one already done ad he can slap it on and play right away!

i was thinking half scalloped although all the ones on e bay are full scalloped.

do people usually go with a full scallop fret board?

Half scalloped is the Blackmore type?

if the scallop is good for lead, and the whole neck is done, does that make it hard to play "regular" ..like an A barr chord, or Bm  or open G, A etc..?

Warmoth has so many choices to choose. it looks like they do not have stock scalloped. you have to build your own. 

solid maple or  with the rosewod or ebony ? is that just for looks or is there a feel thing going on with the  choice of neck material.?

ok so lets star this rolling.. opinions please...

oh and BTW..I am feeling better and can use my hands again! yeah...good thing because we have a gig end of Sept..that was scheduled 6 months ago and i have not played more than 1/2 hrs at a time.! now i can practice

• Members

cybersecretary wrote:

if the scallop is good for lead, and the whole neck is done, does that make it hard to play "regular" ..like an A barr chord, or Bm  or open G, A etc..?

It can be harder to play chords in tune on the scalloped part of a neck because there's nothing under the strings to keep you from pushing down too hard and bending them sharp when you don't mean to. That's why scalloping only the higher part of the neck became a thing.

People who play lightly with their fretting hand usually have less of a problem with it.

• Members

No, Blackmore doesn't have any special scalloping, and I believe all his frets are scalloped.EDIT: No, I'm wrong, Blackmore's fretboard is, in fact, scalloped more similarly to the lower photo.

It seems unnecessary, based on my experience with regular scalloping. If he's not 100% sure he'll be into the scalloping, 1/2 scalloped (12-21+) plus large or jumbo frets is a good way to go.

• Members

cybersecretary wrote:

hey everyone,

I was looking at the scalloped strat necks at warmoth and all parts and e bay. thought i could save some $$ and get one for a gift for hubby  birthday. it's a big one...50..ugh! did i just say that!

He is great at fixing amps and guitars , building pedals..and at first i thought i would get him a plain neck and he can scallop it himself...(he has never done that and you have to start somewhere if you want to try to DIY)

although he has so many projects going on it would be nice to just get one already done ad he can slap it on and play right away!

i was thinking half scalloped although all the ones on e bay are full scalloped.

Warmoth has so many choices to choose. it looks like they do not have stock scalloped. you have to build your own. 

solid maple or  with the rosewod or ebony ? is that just for looks or is there a feel thing going on with the  choice of neck material.?

oh and BTW..I am feeling better and can use my hands again! yeah...good thing because we have a gig end of Sept..that was scheduled 6 months ago and i have not played more than 1/2 hrs at a time.! now i can practice

1) Yes, full scallop for sure. If he decides later he wants to sell theneck, it will be 100x more desirable to other scalloped players if its a full scallop.

2) No, half scallop is 12th to the 21st,22, or 24th fret.... Blackmore had a special kind of scallop that was different from the more traditional Malmsteen style that is usually preferred.

3) Scalloped is good for anything a regular neck is good for. I play no different on my strats with a scalloped board than I do non-scalloped......

4) The kind of fretboard wood is essentailly meaningless on a scalloped as even a 1/4th inch scallop about guarantees your fretting fingers will never touch the fretboard.

Some myths answered:

1) Artificial Harmonics are easier on a scalloped neck? True

2) You have better control of vibrato on a scalloped fretboard? True

3) You can play faster on a scalloped fretboard? False.... actually makes it harder to play fast.

4) It takes a half hour to get use to it? False.... you will either pick up and play a scalloped board like you do any other guitar, or... you will hate it. Some players treat a scalloped vs. a not scalloped board like the difference between picking up a Strat then a Les Paul..... (not better/not worse, just different)..... some players I have seen hold a scalloped neck guitar less than 30 seconds and say....."I can't do that, that sucks."

While it is "different" it is not that different..... grabbing a Ibanez RG then a Tele is far more different than playing a strat with a scalloped board, then one with a regular.

• Members

Dr. Scottie C wrote:

cybersecretary wrote:

hey everyone,

1) Yes, full scallop for sure. If he decides later he wants to sell theneck, it will be 100x more desirable to other scalloped players if its a full scallop.

2) No, half scallop is 12th to the 21st,22, or 24th fret.... Blackmore had a special kind of scallop that was different from the more traditional Malmsteen style that is usually preferred.

3) Scalloped is good for anything a regular neck is good for. I play no different on my strats with a scalloped board than I do non-scalloped......

4) The kind of fretboard wood is essentailly meaningless on a scalloped as even a 1/4th inch scallop about guarantees your fretting fingers will never touch the fretboard.

Some myths answered:

1) Artificial Harmonics are easier on a scalloped neck? True

2) You have better control of vibrato on a scalloped fretboard? True

3) You can play faster on a scalloped fretboard? False.... actually makes it harder to play fast.

4) It takes a half hour to get use to it? False.... you will either pick up and play a scalloped board like you do any other guitar, or... you will hate it. Some players treat a scalloped vs. a not scalloped board like the difference between picking up a Strat then a Les Paul..... (not better/not worse, just different)..... some players I have seen hold a scalloped neck guitar less than 30 seconds and say....."I can't do that, that sucks."

While it is "different" it is not that different..... grabbing a Ibanez RG then a Tele is far more different than playing a strat with a scalloped board, then one with a regular.

you answered ALL my questiones! oh wise one!

decissions decisions.

so to order from warmoth...

full scallop, maple neck, don't need to pay extra for rosewood..

(have to choose radius and finish)  check the tuner size ( we have extra here or can swap from another ax) frets size..did i hear med.jumbo?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Dr. Scottie C wrote:

"I can't do that, that sucks."

I think I've said those exact words after trying one.  Not for me, but I can see the apeal.   

I think I use the edge of the fret board as a guide too often.  If the edge is gone I loose my bearings.  Similarly, I'm a picking hand 'pinky rester' as well.  Not the best technique, but whatever, it works for the stuff I play.  

• 2 years later...

Archived