Refret and scalloping questions.

Branden

• Members

Hello Everyone! I am new to the forum. This is my first post. Had a few questions in regards to refretting and scalloping my Ibanez Wizard II neck. The guitar is an Ibanez RG 320 DX. I have replaced the stock humbuckers with EMG 81 85 pickups. Also swapped out the cheap licensed Floyd with a Schaller Floyd Rose. Basically, I love the way this guitar sounds and feels. This is why I am upgrading and making it better. And I need to get the frets replaced. They are worn enough in certain spots to throw the intonation off. Also the 19th fret goes dead when I bend up more than half a step on the top E and B strings. Because of the fret wear, I am unable to set the action as low as I would like. The neck is maple with a rosewood fretboard. It has those triangle sharktooth inlays on the board. It is also bound. When I bought this guitar years ago, I had just assumed that the binding was done in the factory, but a few years ago I met the guy who said that this was his old guitar. And he told me that he did the binding on the fretboard. So, I would like to know how much it would cost to get it refretted with stainless steel frets. Large frets. Jumbos or something even bigger. And also how much it would cost to scallop the whole neck. I am willing to pay top dollar for this work to be done. I want it to be done by a professional. Also, in about a month I am moving to the Kansas City area. If anybody knows of any reputable luthiers in that area let me know. Thanks! I look forward to the responses! smile.gif

• Members

Welcome to the forumwave.gif

I have no answers for you, but thought I'd bump your thread. I was actually coming in here hoping to find someone completely unqualified asking for advice on how to scallop the board on his dad's vintage guitar, but alas, you seem to be more intelligent than that. I'm relieved that you're looking for a professional biggrin.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by soundcreation View Post
welcome aboard!

I don't have much advice for you only to say I'd think twice about scalloping the neck. Seems to me if you got Jumbo tall SS frets you wouldn't need to scallop the board anyway, as the tall frets basically server the same purpose.

good luck with it either way.
Don't most scalloped necks (at least production ones, not custom or aftermarket jobs like Warmoth) come with Jumbo frets, anwyays? I know the Malmsteen Strat does.

Anyways, one thing that needs to be considered is how removing that wood will affect the structural integrity of the neck. Ibanez necks, especially Wizard necks, are thinner than most necks, and removing the wood between the frets might really damage it. Warmoth doesn't even offer scalloping with their "Wizard" profile, so I think it's safe to say there might be issues.

• Members
welcome aboard!

I don't have much advice for you only to say I'd think twice about scalloping the neck. Seems to me if you got Jumbo tall SS frets you wouldn't need to scallop the board anyway, as the tall frets basically server the same purpose.

Don't most scalloped necks (at least production ones, not custom or aftermarket jobs like Warmoth) come with Jumbo frets, anwyays? I know the Malmsteen Strat does.

Anyways, one thing that needs to be considered is how removing that wood will affect the structural integrity of the neck. Ibanez necks, especially Wizard necks, are thinner than most necks, and removing the wood between the frets might really damage it. Warmoth doesn't even offer scalloping with their "Wizard" profile, so I think it's safe to say there might be issues.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by bubkus_jones View Post

Honestly I have no idea. I've never played a scalloped neck before. I just thought the point was to have clearance so you don't touch the fretboard. I have very tall frets on one of my strats and that's basically what happens. No contact with the fretboard. I don't see how scalloping would make any more of a difference aside from visual, as zero contact is zero contact.

• Members

Do this and welcome.

welcome aboard!

• Members

Really??? That seems like a very good price. Maybe too good. Have you done any business with this guy or seen his work?

Quote Originally Posted by Sillypeoples

View Post

There is a guy on Ebay that scallops necks for $99...my guess that he might refret as well.

• Members

In theory, scalloping would cause the neck to flex inward, raising the strings higher above the fretboard. It would seem that a neck adjustment would probably be needed. Though Im not sure that scalloping would really affect the integrity of the neck enough to be an issue. Or degrade the integrity at all. But it is definately a possibility. That is a good point you raise in regards to Warmoth not offering scalloping for their Wizard neck profile. There may well be a good reason for that.

Quote Originally Posted by bubkus_jones View Post

• Members

That is a good idea. But I already know that I like scalloped necks. So there wouldnt be the issue of getting the neck scalloped only to find that I didnt like it. A friend of mine had a really bad ass Ibanez. It was the Steve Vai signature one.

Quote Originally Posted by sammyreynolds01

View Post

welcome. i would get a separate scalloped neck just in case you don't like it.

• Members

Thank you! Lol I wouldnt want a hack doing this type of work on my guitar. Google image search "scalloped fretboard" and damn some of them look horrible!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bjcarl View Post

I have no answers for you, but thought I'd bump your thread. I was actually coming in here hoping to find someone completely unqualified asking for advice on how to scallop the board on his dad's vintage guitar, but alas, you seem to be more intelligent than that. I'm relieved that you're looking for a professional biggrin.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Branden View Post
Thank you! Lol I wouldnt want a hack doing this type of work on my guitar. Google image search "scalloped fretboard" and damn some of them look horrible!!!
Damn right...I feel like someone posted a thread about that years ago.

I don't know how much attention, if any, you've paid to this forum, but I've seen some crazy {censored} posted in herebiggrin.gif.

• Members

Ah ok. It seems I have heard that before. Must be a pretty standard price. I would assume that scalloping is probably more expensive. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by bubkus_jones

View Post

Refrets in my area tend to be about $10 a fret, so, for an RG, that'd be $240. That was a few years ago, so I don't know if the price has gone up at all, but it's probably around that.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by bjcarl View Post

That reminds me.

I bought Clapton's Blackie strat at a Crossroads auction. What's the best file to use to scallop the neck?

Also, I was thinking a set of DiMarzio Fury's would sound good in there as well. Maybe even route the body for a Floyd.

• Members
Really??? That seems like a very good price. Maybe too good. Have you done any business with this guy or seen his work?
He's got pics. No personal dealings. Seems straight up.

Good advice here to consider buying a neck separately....if only to still have a guitar to play while waiting...also...I'd get the stainless fret install at the same time.

• Members
Ah ok. It seems I have heard that before. Must be a pretty standard price. I would assume that scalloping is probably more expensive. Any ideas?
Not sure what anyone would charge to scallop your neck, but just as a reference, Warmoth charges $90 for a half-neck scallop, $110 for a full-neck scallop on the necks they sell.

Refrets do require a number of steps (pulling the old frets, seating the new ones, leveling, crowning and polishing), and scalloping is relatively more simple to accomplish, so don't be surprised if you can get that done cheaper than a refret.

• Members

Welcome to the forum.

When I think of a scalloped neck, this is the first thing that comes to mind:

ScallopNightmare.jpg

I'm very leery of scalloped necks and I don't like the idea. But that's me.

If you decide to go ahead with a scallop, I agree with what the others said about buying a neck just to scallop and keeping the old neck intact. Or, have very high stainless frets installed on your current neck. Be very careful about who does the work. You want them to have experience doing scalloping. You may not be able to find a local luthier who can do the work properly so you may have to ship the guitar to someone who can.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by BrammyH View Post
That reminds me.

I bought Clapton's Blackie strat at a Crossroads auction. What's the best file to use to scallop the neck?

Also, I was thinking a set of DiMarzio Fury's would sound good in there as well. Maybe even route the body for a Floyd.
Make sure you sand it down and spray paint it purple!

Archived