Loopers

DaveAronow

• Members

Not much discussion here. I have 2, TC Electronics loop pedals, Flashback (the "small" one) and Transition. They work, and in conjunction with various other effects, make strange electric guitar sounds, which I do enjoy. Haven't tried the new Vox thing. I like hooking them up together, to "loop the loop", sounds strange, cool, different....

• Members

I use a Boss RC-2 single pedal Loop Station (with additional external footswitch) for solo acoustic gigs. I only use it to jam/solo over riffs in the middle of songs, and it's easy and reliable. I couldn't find a cheap, used double pedal Loop Station.

• Members

I'd really like to get a new looper.

One that self quantized would be nice.  I currently have a EX deluxe memory man.

30 seconds of loop on that one, and it is a bit unreliable in the way that it stops and starts loop recordings.  It is good for at home, but you can't use it with a drummer, or he'll want to kill you.

Maybe all loopers are like that, IDK, but I need to find something that is easy, relatively small, sounds good, and just works.

• Members

The one I used to get my feet wet was my Electro Harmonix Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai's loop mode.

Real basic - but you can loop 24-bit 48 khz stereo for 30 seconds.  

No undo but you can do reverse.

Pluses - great sound, durable metal case.

Minuses: loops can't be stored, no USB port for use with a computer, AC adapter has a very thin cable,

I've had to replace that once already.

I still have that since I use it as a delay mostly now.

I replaced it with a Boss RC-300.  

Pluses: 3 independent loops, 3 hours total recording time, undo on each loop, can be used as an audio interface on your computer (24-bit 48khz), Contains built in drum machine, MIDI in/out, built in footpedal,

multiple inputs and outputs, powered XLR for mic input, built like a tank, relatively easy to use.  Huge amount of assigns available internally make it possible to assign nearly every control and footswitch to your specific purpose.  You can store 99 "songs" in the unit or beds of tracks that you can loop over if you like or use those tracks to save your improvised loops and then dump them to your computer later and more.

Minuses: big as a battleship (very large!), undo isn't immediate (takes two seconds which can seem like an eternity in a live situation but isn't bad), loop aging isn't built in by default (ala frippertronics) but can be done by using a special method using an external cable from the sub outs to the aux in (I do this, it's easy and very giggable and repeatable),   Starting, stopping and adding to loops is relatively easy but some of the more esoteric functions are kind of complicated.  It's also expensive, about $550 USD.

The other looper I want to check out is the Pigtronix Infinity.  That's 2 loops with undo but the company has been very responsive to adding features and the like.   This one is also expensive, around $450 USD.

In terms of software looping I use the Expert Sleepers Augustus Loop. 

• Members

Pulled the trigger today on a Vox lil looper.  Ebay has them at $125 so it was kind of a no brainier.  Also, Jon Chappell of HC fame does a really nice review of the unit here,

http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Expert-Reviews/Vox-Lil-Looper-Looper-Multi-Effect-Pedal/bc-p/36117825#M485

helped to push me off the fence.

Also a good demo of it,

Archived