Affordable Scalloped Fret Guitar?

ASoRelle

• Members

Anyone know of a company that produces stock scalloped guitars that don't cost too much? I used to have a YM fender that i absolutely loved, but i had to sell it a while back. I'm kind of hoping to get something mid-range like a 3-500 and then build it up with upgrades when i get the chance.

• Members

You can buy a scalloped neck from Warmoth for about $250 - $300 and it can tell you they are quality necks. Stick it on the strat of your choice and your there for the mere fraction of an Fender YJM strat. Beware of buying home made scalloped necks. I actually did a half scallop on a Warmoth myself which came out very nice but it did have problems later on with some frets raising up. A factory scallop is done before the frets are put on.

BTY, I own a YJM signature as well as my Warmoth 1/2 scallop.....love them!

• Members

Just refret a neck with super jumbo frets. It has the exact same effect of your fingers not touching the fretboard.

I've refretted maybe 10 of my necks with the largest frets I could buy and they are great for bending notes.

You do need to get used to not relying on the fretboard for finger pressure though.

• Members

A few sizes of wooden dowels, a few different grits of sandpaper and a wood rasp. All that plus a little elbow grease is all you need to make it happen. Plus a little self control to keep you from digging all the way through the fretboard. I did my first one nearly 20 years ago and it turned out very nicely.

• Members

Just refret a neck with super jumbo frets. It has the exact same effect of your fingers not touching the fretboard.

I've refretted maybe 10 of my necks with the largest frets I could buy and they are great for bending notes.

You do need to get used to not relying on the fretboard for finger pressure though.

Sonically, yes but I hear it's a different feel (I've never played a scalloped neck before). I too have huge frets on my Warmoth neck and I love it.

• Members

Sonically, yes but I hear it's a different feel (I've never played a scalloped neck before). I too have huge frets on my Warmoth neck and I love it.

I've owned scalloped boards and I've owned super jumbo frets before, and there is a difference. Scallops are a lot of fun. Give it a shot, and I bet you'll do just fine. Just don't throw a Dremel at it, or else this could happen:

m4448461-8717.jpg

(I can't see Photobucket here at work, so I'm posting from a quote of the photo I want to show you.. It should be a really fubarr'd scallop job..)

• Members

I've owned scalloped boards and I've owned super jumbo frets before, and there is a difference. Scallops are a lot of fun. Give it a shot, and I bet you'll do just fine. Just don't throw a Dremel at it, or else this could happen:

m4448461-8717.jpg

(I can't see Photobucket here at work, so I'm posting from a quote of the photo I want to show you.. It should be a really fubarr'd scallop job..)

That's what mine originally turned out to be :x but after a few years, I got the skills to restore it. i've got some nice frets on it, refined the fretboard, smoothed it all out. It's a cool guitar. If you use a dremel, tape the frets like 900 times, or remove them and get some refretting tools.

• Members

You'd think so, but it doesn't feel the same (IMHO YMMV). Scallops>jumbo frets, but its irreversible if you don't like it. Jumbo frets can be filed down if you don't like them.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

I bought a mighty mite scalloped guitar neck from shredlegacyluthiers.net shred legacy luthiers on ebay

I had found them on ebay first but I opted to avoid the ebay tyranny and go through their website instead.

I was a bit worry some hadn't seen any reviews of their necks, but I was really surprised to see the quality of the scallop work, I'm very happy with it, the price was right

zm7n.jpg" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://imageshack.com/i/jjzm7nj]zm7n.jpg[/url]

hzqp.jpg" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://imageshack.com/i/euhzqpj]hzqp.jpg[/url]