Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Affordable Scalloped Fret Guitar?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Affordable Scalloped Fret Guitar?

Anyone know of a company that produces stock scalloped guitars that don't cost too much? I used to have a YM fender that i absolutely loved, but i had to sell it a while back. I'm kind of hoping to get something mid-range like a 3-500 and then build it up with upgrades when i get the chance.
    Good deals with: robbierobnj06, Firebrand, volatile269, naveed211, jlaugh87, Dumo<br><br>&quot;You must be the change you wish to see in the world&quot; - Mahatma Gandhi<br><br>www.427band.com

I've never seen an affordable guitar with a stock scalloped neck. I don't imagine it being terribly difficult to do yourself though if you take your time and do a little research

Comment

Yeah i did check on that, I'm leaning that way right now but it's pretty time consuming. I'd rather get a midway axe already done up if possible
      Good deals with: robbierobnj06, Firebrand, volatile269, naveed211, jlaugh87, Dumo<br><br>&quot;You must be the change you wish to see in the world&quot; - Mahatma Gandhi<br><br>www.427band.com

Comment

Not going to happen. Scalloped guitars are expensive.

Comment

Grassroots G-SE-48S/C is the cheapest model I have ever seen. Even then, you'll have to import it.

http://global.rakuten.com/en/search?k=G-SE-48S/C&tl=&fs=1&sm=2

Still, about as cheap as you're going to get.
          <div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="green">Kiss Me Deadry<br />
          </font></div>

Comment

You can buy a scalloped neck from Warmoth for about $250 - $300 and it can tell you they are quality necks. Stick it on the strat of your choice and your there for the mere fraction of an Fender YJM strat. Beware of buying home made scalloped necks. I actually did a half scallop on a Warmoth myself which came out very nice but it did have problems later on with some frets raising up. A factory scallop is done before the frets are put on.
            BTY, I own a YJM signature as well as my Warmoth 1/2 scallop.....love them!
            <div class="signaturecontainer">FDP Political Exile and Proud of It</div>

Comment

Just refret a neck with super jumbo frets. It has the exact same effect of your fingers not touching the fretboard.
              I've refretted maybe 10 of my necks with the largest frets I could buy and they are great for bending notes.
              You do need to get used to not relying on the fretboard for finger pressure though.

Comment

A few sizes of wooden dowels, a few different grits of sandpaper and a wood rasp. All that plus a little elbow grease is all you need to make it happen. Plus a little self control to keep you from digging all the way through the fretboard. I did my first one nearly 20 years ago and it turned out very nicely.
                Signature...

Comment

Just refret a neck with super jumbo frets. It has the exact same effect of your fingers not touching the fretboard.
                  I've refretted maybe 10 of my necks with the largest frets I could buy and they are great for bending notes.
                  You do need to get used to not relying on the fretboard for finger pressure though.

Sonically, yes but I hear it's a different feel (I've never played a scalloped neck before). I too have huge frets on my Warmoth neck and I love it.
                  <div class="signaturecontainer"><b>Mesa/Boogie Mob</b><br />
                  <br />
                  <u>My Gear</u><br />
                  Fender American Deluxe V Neck (w/ sustainiac stealth plus)<br />
                  Warmoth Tele (Bridge: Dimarzio Breed, Neck: GFS Hot Nashville)<br />
                  ESP-LTD MH-301<br />
                  Mesa/Boogie Lonestar Special 112<br />
                  Boss GT-8<br />
                  Vox V848 Clyde McCoy Wah<br />
                  EHX Micro POG<br />
                  Afri-Can Guitar<br />
                  Xotic Effects BB Preamp MB<br />
                  Xaviere XV-700 Redflake Fretless<br />
                  Crate V18-112<br />
                  Outlaw Supply Ole Fuzzy<br />
                  <br />
                  <u>Good deals with:</u> <br />
                  Mfergel<br />
                  NOS68<br />
                  jdh4him (on the Boogie Boards)</div>

Comment

look for a used MIJ Yngwie Strat or Blackmore. A guy I went to highschool with has been playing his MIJ Yngwie for like 20 years and loves it.

Funny, his once cheapo rig a MIJ Yngwie and a original Grey DOD250 go for big bucks now haha
                    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="darkgreen">________________________________ _________________</font><br />
                    <br />
                    <font size="1"><font color="darkgreen">stuff:</font></font><br />
                    <font size="1"><font color="#ff8c00">52RI Tele</font></font><br />
                    <font size="1"><font color="darkorange">Gibson SG 1970s Tribute</font></font><br />
                    <font size="1"><font color="green">more stuff:</font></font><br />
                    <font size="1"><font color="#ff8c00">65 Twin Reverb Reissue</font></font><br />
                    <font size="1"><font color="#ff8c00">Cox Tweed Deluxe Ultimate</font></font><br />
                    <br />
                    <br />
                    <font face="Century Gothic"><font color="teal"><i>The REAL Angry</i></font></font></div>

Comment

Sonically, yes but I hear it's a different feel (I've never played a scalloped neck before). I too have huge frets on my Warmoth neck and I love it.

I've owned scalloped boards and I've owned super jumbo frets before, and there is a difference. Scallops are a lot of fun. Give it a shot, and I bet you'll do just fine. Just don't throw a Dremel at it, or else this could happen:

(I can't see Photobucket here at work, so I'm posting from a quote of the photo I want to show you.. It should be a really fubarr'd scallop job..)
                      Signature...

Comment

I've owned scalloped boards and I've owned super jumbo frets before, and there is a difference. Scallops are a lot of fun. Give it a shot, and I bet you'll do just fine. Just don't throw a Dremel at it, or else this could happen:

(I can't see Photobucket here at work, so I'm posting from a quote of the photo I want to show you.. It should be a really fubarr'd scallop job..)

That's what mine originally turned out to be :x but after a few years, I got the skills to restore it. i've got some nice frets on it, refined the fretboard, smoothed it all out. It's a cool guitar. If you use a dremel, tape the frets like 900 times, or remove them and get some refretting tools.
                        dharmaforone.bandcamp.com<br><br>Listen to my music and such.<br><br>Strat - Jazzmaster - Bunch of fuzz and delay pedals - map.

Comment

Wood rasp first, dowels with sandpaper wrapped around them, then sandpaper around your finger.. That is the correct order of operations for this job. Power tools will go badly, quickly.
                          Signature...

Comment

• peskypesky
                            peskypesky commented
                            Editing a comment

RaVenCAD wrote:
                            Wood rasp first, dowels with sandpaper wrapped around them, then sandpaper around your finger.. That is the correct order of operations for this job. Power tools will go badly, quickly.

this

Agreed. It takes forever, but it's worth it.
                          dharmaforone.bandcamp.com<br><br>Listen to my music and such.<br><br>Strat - Jazzmaster - Bunch of fuzz and delay pedals - map.

Comment

One from Warmoth or check Ebay..there was a company that did it on your existing neck but i cant find them now....JMO get a MIM Strat and pick any one of these http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=scalloped&_sacat=41423&_odkw=&_osacat= 41423&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1311
                            <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought&quot;<br />
                            Sir Thomas Beecham</div>

Comment

Working...
                            X