Favorite Kind of neck?

JeremyRodriguez5544998

• Members

Hello!

I'll briefly introduce myself as a new member since I couldn't find an intro forum! XD 

Anyway, I learned recently that I love unfinished maplewood guitar necks!  The ESP FM400 model is the best guitar I have ever played on, but it discontinued of course :/. I recently played on a B.C. Rich, but am confused about the model number because the number on it was something like XTT-1, but on the tag it had a totally different name. However, that one is discontinued as well. Sad day.

So I played an Ibanez that felt incredible sweep picking wise, but the frets were jumbo, and it made it really hard for me to do sliding licks and some Yngwie Malmsteen lick that I know (yes I know only one right now because his stuff is super hard to play lol). 

So what are your favorite kind of guitar necks?

www.reverbnation.com/jeremyrodriguezmusic

• Members

The Gibson 60s neck is one of my favorites, probably my top one. Fender Modern C feels great, too. I prefer a satin finish on the neck, but it's not a big deal. As long as the fretboard isn't glossy! I prefer flatter frets. Gibson frets are awesome to me.

• Members

:smiley-welcome:

Keep coming back to the PRS wide-fat.  It's not particularly wide or fat, but fits my hand like a glove.

Can't get along with necks that are modern C or thinner.  Up to baseball bat is fine.

Narrow necks aren't comfortable, but I can deal.

Prefer small radius FBs, play a lot of barre chords so the really flat FBs don't feel right.

Prefer unfinished or satin finish, but get along with anything aside from the really thick glossy finishes.

Prefer maple FB, but just slightly.

Prefer vintage frets, can't stand full-on jumbo frets or scalloping.

The neck is make-or-break for me, if it feels off I swap it or the guitar goes.

• Members

My favorite neck on a Les Paul is a 50s. I love the feel of it, very solid, and I think it gives a fatter sound. I've never liked 60s necks on a Les Paul.

I prefer medium C-shaped necks on Strats. I've played a few Strats with soft V-shaped necks, and I thought those were very nice. I kind of like the slimmer C-shaped necks, also, but in general I like more wood rather than less.

I've never liked Ibanez Wizard necks. I'm not a shredder by any means. I'm into big honkin' riffs, so again, I want more wood under my hand.

Oh, and a word about Gibson necks. I played Strats and Strat type guitars for many years before ever owning a Les Paul. A part of that was because I've never liked the glossy, finished necks. I've always preferred necks that felt lightly finished or almost unfinished. That's part of why I bonded immediately to my Les Paul BFG. Its neck is roughly finished, not smooth. I can feel the wood grain underneath my hand. To other Les Paul owners, that's cheap and lacking, but to me it's perfect.

• Members

My fantasy neck is a radical boatneck tele neck with a really tight radius,  Super curved.  tall frets.  vintage tint.  Rosewood fb.

i knew a guy who had a warmouth maple boatneck and I loved the feel in  my hand.  But it wasn't mounted on a guitar.

So, I'v enever played a guitar like that.  It might be a "nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there" neck.  Like the appeal of a red head if your wife is a brunette.

• Members

Welcome aboard!!

As I thought about your post, I realized that I don't have a favorite type of neck. I kind of expect a certain type of neck when I pick up a guitar and I'm more impressed by the overall feel of a guitar and not just the neck, if that makes sense. For example, if I pick up a LP, I expect a rounder, bigger radius than I do a Strat. And, I can't say I prefer one over the other.

• Members

The 59 carve on most of the current LPs, though I wish it were a 25.5 inch scale, and I'm not as fond of the flatted out frets.  I can get along with a modern c-shape strat or tele neck, but I tend to like a flatter fretboard radius and a bit more thickness.  Anything thinner and my hand gets painful after I've played for a while, anything thicker and my hand goes numb for the same reasonas my carpal tunnel acts up.  I like medium-jumbo frets and an ebony fretboard if I can get one. 

• Members

I've played both Fenders and Gibsons all my life. It's funny, when I play my Strat, that's my favorite neck. when I play my Gibson jumbo acoustic, THAT'S my favorite neck. Sort of like women I guess. But as to the fretboard, I prefer rosewood or ebony. Bare maple is too slippery.

• Members

I seem to be unusual in that I don't really have a favourite kind of neck, or I still haven't worked out what it is anyway.  My favourite guitars have had very different necks, thin and flat through to baseball bat (hey, that rhymes).    

Edited to add: Before anyone suggests I just need to have been playing longer or play more guitars to be able to come to a decision, I'll simply say trust me, I've been playing long enough and have tried plenty. If I haven't decided by now I can't imagine I ever will 

Archived