Jeff Beck signature strats.

PancakeBunny

• Members

What do you folks think of these? Someone is offering to trade me their Jeff Beck Signature Strat for my Gibson SG Classic and it seems like a deal too good to be true. I have to imagine there's either something wrong with it or that it's not a made in USA model or something.

It's a year 2000 JB Strat. What do you folks think of these?

• Moderators

What do you folks think of these? Someone is offering to trade me their Jeff Beck Signature Strat for my Gibson SG Classic and it seems like a deal too good to be true. I have to imagine there's either something wrong with it or that it's not a made in USA model or something.

It's a year 2000 JB Strat. What do you folks think of these?

As this is a 2000, it should be the MkI, which is a Strat Plus to all intents and purposes.

It should have Lace pickups, possibly a Dually at the bridge, in 1995 they changed the Wilko locking nut to an LSR and it'll have the fat neck and no contoured heel and TBX tone circuit.

Depending on condition and case and candy etc it sounds a decent deal

I think they did em in purple, black, green and white

• Members

I own a 2006 Custom Shop JB, and it's my main working solidbody. Love it loads.

The Mk 1 had the SERIOUSLY big neck favoured by Mr B himself -- his personal instruments still feature that neck, albeit with the body and electronics of the Mk II -- and the current editions are slimmer than that, with the regular MIA production version skinnier than the CS.

The Mk 1s were excellent guitars and fairly collectable now -- they're certainly worth more than a standard SG Classic -- and well worth having, just as long as you can deal with that MASSIVE neck.

• Moderators

The Mk 1s were excellent guitars and fairly collectable now -- they're certainly worth more than a standard SG Classic -- and well worth having, just as long as you can deal with that MASSIVE neck.

Just to iterate the actual neck.

Dimensionally it is almost the same as any early 50s Fender, but the profile is a full U as opposed to the soft V or boat shape on say a Blackguard Tele.

I believe Mr Beck may have been looking for the early 50s LP experience

• Members

I believe Mr Beck may have been looking for the early 50s LP experience

Kee-rect!

Ironically, Clapton's sig Strat was designed to give him the feel of a Strat but with the sound of a Les Paul (hence the active 25db midboost), whereas Beck wanted his to give him the sound of a Strat allied to the neck feel of his favourite Les Paul -- ie the 'oxblood' which had started life as a '54 goldtop.

• Members

I absolutely love them!

Is it purple, with a humbucker in the bridge?

010_9600.jpg

The Jeff Beck Strat has been my personal favorite Fender Strat. I've had 9 of them over time, including a Master Built one.

The Midnight Purple one, as pictured above, is my favorite version.

• Members

This had its original pups replaced with Fralin '54s.

I prefer a Strat but the reason this SG is on the block to begin with is because I can't bond with the giant neck.

Monetarily it seems like a decent trade. Apart from that I may just have the same problem with it as I do with this one. The other two options are an '08 American Standard Strat and an '09 American Standard Tele that belonged to a Fender employee.

• 3 years later...

Archived