Would a normal hardshell case resist a flight as checked baggage?

danuniversal

• Members

I will make a travel to USA and I will buy an electric guitar. I will need to register it as when I asked by phone to the airlines they rejected me any posibility of having it as a carry on item.

I can't spend too much on a guitar case (else I can't buy the guitar I want), so $50 is fine.

I know there are cases specially made for this duty, but those are too expensive.

So, searching for normal hard cases I found this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/330988566412

I would like to know if you think that it would resist the flight as cheched luggage. I could even cover it with bubbles paper outside or inside for extra protection, I don't mind doing that, but it should resist.

Previous experiences will be highly appreciated.

ALso, it would be fine if you know of a fligth case cheaper than $100 (and even cheaper would be better).

• Members

How lucky do you feel ?

The duffel bag idea is a good one.

I once flew from Pittsburgh Pa. To Dallas Tx.  with a banjo in a chipboard case. I checked it with my luggage and it was fine   Not recomended but I did what I had to.   

• Members

Um... that's not good.  If you check it in that case it'll break for sure.

The well-reinforced cases are expensive for a reason:  They work.

I would scrape up some more money to get a true flight case.  Even then I'd add extra padding inside if the fit allows it.  And loosen the strings or the headstock will snap off.

• Members

If you have a Gibson, I probably wouldn't get that case.  That one is designed for strat/superstrat types of guitars.  Check out the reviews to see what guitars people are putting in it.  You definitely want a case that is purpose made for the guitar you have, as it is really important that the neck is well-supported.  For instance, this one is designed for a Les Paul:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/gator-gator-ata-molded-gpe-lps-tsa-guitar-case-with-tsa-latches

They also have ones that are designed for 335s, SGs and other models.

FWIW, I have an LP in one of the cases linked above, and it is really nice and solid.

• Members

I called United Airlines, by telephone, and they say that you can not get your guitar as carry on, neither to gate check it, that you must check it as regular baggage. This is terrible, I have read many stories on internet saying that you can, but I now I am not sure about what I am going to do.

Archived