Best Solid body Electric under $200?

AlamoJoe

• Members

Gave my niece an acoustic last year and she's progressing nicely! Funds for her folks are tight as are mine, but they'd like to buy her an Solid body electric for Christmas but can only squeeze a couple of hunfed for one. I've got a nice little Roland amp I can give her, but I really want opinions on this from you folks. I was kind of leaning towards an Epi SG or Les Paul LTD(both under 2 Bills) But there are also some Squier Tetel models in the same price ranges. Nothing with a whammy bar folks. Don't need any intonation issues with a begineer!

Input Please!!

• Members

How old is she? They make one of the squiers (either bullet or affinity) in pink. I bought a 3/4 size for my niece and to be honest, it's fine. Definitely see if you can get it in pink if its for a girl 8-)

If you're looking new, a Squier is probably the best option for less than $200. nothing wrong with the affinity series. I started on one 15 years ago or so. Don't get me wrong, you get what you pay for but for the price range, it's the best thing you can get. 

with new machining techniques and manufacturing costs for hardware being lower, the value is there. I recommend the affinity series to friends who ask for their kids and what not all the time

• Members

The Epiphone "Special 1" in cherry is $129.00. I had a yellow one (actually 2 yellow ones). and really liked them (I traded up for a couple Gibson LP's). But, the Epiphone LP special 1 I had was a great entry level Les Paul guitar, both made in Indonesia, really nice actually. 

Here is a pic of the (former) yellow ones. I might get the same ones, they are still available, not too expensive and they actually were set up and played, had action just as good , if not a little better than the 2 Gibsons . lol, ya, I wish I still had them. 

Oh well

yellow Epiphone LP special 1

Here is Amazon link pic of the red one, I had a red one also, again, towards the Gibsons. 

red Epiphone LP Special 1Here is another Epiphone $129.00 that I let go, a Les Paul "Junior". In my opinion, it was a very beautiful guitar, inexpensive, but it was really a "pretty" guitar, nice wood, super simple. Again, I wish I still had those 3 Epiphones, but the 2 Gibsons and the Epiphone Pro+ will have to do for now. lol

red Epiphone

red and yellow Epiphone's

• Members

Buttcrust wrote:

The Epiphone "Special 1" in cherry is $129.00. I had a yellow one (actually 2 yellow ones). and really liked them (I traded up for a couple Gibson LP's). But, the Epiphone LP special 1 I had was a great entry level Les Paul guitar, both made in Indonesia, really nice actually. 

Here is a pic of the (former) yellow ones. I might get the same ones, they are still available, not too expensive and they actually were set up and played, had action just as good , if not a little better than the 2 Gibsons . lol, ya, I wish I still had them. 

Oh well

yellow Epiphone LP special 1

Here is Amazon link pic of the red one, I had a red one also, again, towards the Gibsons. 

red Epiphone LP Special 1

DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING

Mahogany body, mahogany neck, 2 P-90s, for less than $150. Damn! Very tempting.

My only question is how good the P-90s are.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-les-paul-special-i-p90-electric-guitar

• Members

Is there somewhere you can take her out shopping and play a few and see what she likes? I just did that this weekend with a friend's son who was looking for a new amp. Talked abou tthe difference between solid state and tube, modeling, fx, etc. He went in thinking he really wanted a Mustang (his frined has a Mustang). We played the Mustang, Vyper, and Cube, and the new Cube blew the other two away. 

She may have something in mind, but once she goes out and tries a few things, she may end up somewhere else. Personally, my go-to in this price range are Peavey (older USA-made stuff), and Yamaha.

• Members

Well folks, I appreciate each and every single response to my query! Seems like her folks are going to bite down on either an Affinity Telecaster or a Epi Les Paul LTD. To be honest, they are fairly near a Guitar Center store that stock both. I went by and played both and told them I thought the Epi was the most playable, so we'll see. They don't want to buy her used guitar....Hey they don't play so having known them both for 28 plus years..They want new...Not gonna try to convince them a hunt for a deal on a used one might be worth it.

But thanks to all who responded!!!

• Members

They should bring her to pick out a guitar of her own chosing, have her play it before "gifting". If she and her parents are novice. I see you said she is "progressing nicely", good for her, that always is a big plus. But, really have someone knowledgeable look at her hand size to pick a neck (and body size) that fit's her. Is she still growing ? Will her hand get any bigger ? It might look nice, and everything else...but until she actually plunks a few chords on it,  the one given as a "surprise", might not be what she needs (right neck size, width, thickness and other things like sound, looks). And, being an electric, what amp ? A Fender (for a Telecaster), A Marshall, for an LP. How much to spend on a fairly good amp ? SS or tube ? Any effects pedals ? Wah, fuzz, multi effects ? Does she have a computer. Would a modeling amp with USB port be something she might use and become more proficient in using as she progresses ? What about recording ...will she be doing that ? or singing as she plays ? Will she want an amp that allows microphone input ?  Lessons ? online or private ? Lots of things to think about besides "what is the cheapest, but best electric guitar, under "x" amount of $$" when obtaining any guitar for someone as a gift. And, has that person expressed any intest in actually playing ? Appears that she has. That helps, a lot...lol

• Members

Their main concern is whether or not she is going to stick with it or not. She's a bit mercurial. She was hot for cello...for one year..then hot for clarinet...for one year...See the pattern? If she is truly hot for guitar, and sticks with it...They'll upgrade. The amp I'm giving her has headphone and line outs on it so she can play into her computer or iPad...

Archived