Hey Fender, now that you own Guild guitars

Buttcrust

• Members

start making DeArmond guitars again too. They were like (and some were made into) Squier's. I had an M-55 DeArmond, I'd like a new M65 or 75. Maybe I'll actually get a new Guild electric, but would still dig a new DeArmond solid body electric. Fender, you could do it....do it...

• Members

Fender also owns Alvarez, and won't let them make electrics. And they own Hamer, and recently shut them down, since the Slammer series was cutting into Squier sales. (Yeah, i know, the money is still going into Fenders pockets, but WTF Fender?) And they own Gretch, and Ovation, and a few others that I am waiting to see the quailty do a downward spiral. Guild Bluesbird whiskey in the near future? Or tele tequila?

• Members

badpenguin wrote:

Fender also owns Alvarez, and won't let them make electrics. And they own Hamer, and recently shut them down, since the Slammer series was cutting into Squier sales. (Yeah, i know, the money is still going into Fenders pockets, but WTF Fender?) And they own Gretch, and Ovation, and a few others that I am waiting to see the quailty do a downward spiral. Guild Bluesbird whiskey in the near future? Or tele tequila?

lol, I'd try Baha mescal....is there such a thing ? lol

• Members

badpenguin wrote:

Fender also owns Alvarez, and won't let them make electrics. . . .

There actually were Alvarez electrics years ago. My bass is a '95 Alvarez. But they didn't go over well. Same with Martin electrics. For better or worse, the Alvarez name is associated with acoustics.

• Members

badpenguin wrote:

In the case of Gretch, the quality has actually gone up since Fender took over, not down.

• Members

badpenguin wrote:

. And they own Hamer, and recently shut them down, since the Slammer series was cutting into Squier sales. (Yeah, i know, the money is still going into Fenders pockets, but WTF Fender?) 

I highly doubt Slammer sales were effecting Squier.  In any case the brand in fact seems to be active if the following link is anything to go by. http://www.slammerguitars.com/

• Members

Buttcrust wrote:

start making DeArmond guitars again too. 

Guild (i.e. -- Fender) doesn't realy need to bring back any DeArmond guitars from the past.  I wouldn't mind seeing a nice JetStar reissue at some point or an X-79 Skyhawk reissue, but they are already doing essentially what the DeArmond line did -- reissue some of the classic Guild solidbody and hollowbody electrics.  

The one item that Guild needs to definitely reissue as soon as possible is the GoldTone humbucker pickup.  These were truly excellent pickups!  

30U-14660_pickups.jpg

• Members

Forget the guitars! Fender owns Sunn and I want a re-issue first or second gen Sunn Model T and a re-issue Sunn Beta Lead solid state C-MOS technology amp! And not that last generation of Model T they put out after they bought them, that was not a Model T (cool amp but had nothing in common outside of looks). I love my Beta Lead but its old and I'd like something I could take out and gig with.

I played one of those new Guild S-100 Polara (SG clones) recently and it was a nice guitar. Not sure it was worth the money ($899) but it was cool. I liked it better than my P90 Gibson SG and it was about the same price (which was probably to much). Forgot to check country of manufacture on the back, I'll look though next time I'm at that store.

Guild S-100 Polara Re-Issue

• Members

Crap net here in Thailand stalls trying to load image.... anyway, I have a 99 Starfire IV, and it is maple. The new ones are mahogany, right? That has to do something to the tone, tho haven't tried one out yet. Maybe better, maybe worse..... should put some letter like "H" to signify it isn't the same beast, imho

Archived