What's the Most You've Spent on a non-USA Made Guitar?

kayd_mon

• Members

My current go-to guitars are:

- Tanglewood Sundance acoustic - UK/China

- Yamaha SG1000 - Japan

In both cases I paid around 700 GBP which comes out to approx $1100. The acoustic was brand new from a local family-run guitar store, the Yammy I bought used from eBay. Very happy with both of them. The only US made guitar I have is a Martin DCX1e which I bought the Tanglewood to replace but which I still have hanging around. I will buy a US made Gibson at some point I'm sure - probably an ES-339 or similar

• Members

About $700 is the most I've spent in today's dollars. 1. a Guild GAD-N4 which gives me all the nylon I need and 2. a Hagstrom Viking Deluxe Semi-Hollowbody Humbucker. Both are very nice guitars bought new.   I spent $495 on a 1982 Alvarez-Yairi DY-78 purchased new and which I still own.  I think the book on it is around $800 or $900.  I wouldn't take $2K if it was offered. 

• Members

It was about $400 for a Japanese Stratocaster in, I think, 2000.  It was an impulse buy and it ended up being nowhere near the same league as the MIA Stats I had at the time so I sold it after only a few months.  I've never paid more than $200 for any other guitar not made in the United States.

• Members

Knutsaq wrote:

It was about $400 for a Japanese Stratocaster in, I think, 2000.  It was an impulse buy and it ended up being nowhere near the same league as the MIA Stats I had at the time so I sold it after only a few months.  I've never paid more than $200 for any other guitar not made in the United States.

Same for me.

I don't see why some get rock hard boners for MIJ strats...I've owned 3....all sucked.....I think MIM is better than MIJ with Fender.

• Members

Well Dr. Scottie C, it's because all their guitars are better. How do I know? Because mine slays every other Strat ever, even vintage 50s Strats. I have played them all, and I have verified this.

But really, the nicest sounding Strat I've ever played was a friend's MIJ Strat. Japan seems to have good QC, which goes a long way. I'm sure some of their guitars aren't all that great, but hey, I haven't played all that many to really tell you.

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

Well Dr. Scottie C, it's because all their guitars are better. How do I know? Because mine slays every other Strat ever, even vintage 50s Strats. I have played them all, and I have verified this.

But really, the nicest sounding Strat I've ever played was a friend's MIJ Strat. Japan seems to have good QC, which goes a long way. I'm sure some of their guitars aren't all that great, but hey, I haven't played all that many to really tell you.

MIJ Fender's even when fit & finish are decent....the electronics historically blow with the exception of a few models that use Texas Specials....

But I don't know.....the MIJ Fender's feel horrible to me.

Keep me mind, I was a MIA Fender dealer for a number of years....so it's possible that I have had more MIA's pass through my hands than the average person.....but I don't think that MIJ Fender's are in the same leauge as MIA's.....

Other than that.....MIJ I-been-had's, Charvels, Jacksons...etc... are all great quality guitars.

Archived