Bad Cat amps - any opinions?

o.versteer

• Members

Hi all,

Don't seem to read much about Bad Cat amps round here. Anyone have any experience with them? I may be able to acquire one of the low-watt ones for not a lot, and am quite tempted, seeing as I just don't get along with my Champ 600 (because it's rubbish...)

I dare not go into the amp forum, so does anyone here have an opinion?

• Members

Hi all,

Don't seem to read much about Bad Cat amps round here. Anyone have any experience with them? I may be able to acquire one of the low-watt ones for not a lot, and am quite tempted, seeing as I just don't get along with my Champ 600 (because it's rubbish...)

I dare not go into the amp forum, so does anyone here have an opinion?

Most folks here don't pony up that much for an amp, but I've read an occasional stellar review of Bad Cat amps here from time to time. Generally regarded as a boutique quality amp company.

• 5 years later...
  • Members

tubedrt wrote:

I own the mini cat. Awesome amo though the 10" Jensen alnico cant really handle the amp full tilt. A little too loose and flubby.

I played thru the very first proto type of the Classic Cat around 2004 and I have known Bad Cat owner James Heidrich since 2002. He is a great guy and the Bad Cat amps are built like tanks with point to point wiring. I have played thru many Bad Cat amps and they all sound great. The Clasic Cat is a great pedal platform. I live just a couple of miles from where Bad Cats are made.

• Members

My only real exposure to Bad Cat amps is going to Porcupine Tree shows. Steven Wilson uses them live, and I must be honest - his guitar tone is better on record (he uses all computer program modelers in the studio). Not a very good selling point for Bad Cat, given their high price tag, but I'm sure you can sound good with them as with any other product.

• Members

kayd\_mon wrote:

My only real exposure to Bad Cat amps is going to Porcupine Tree shows. Steven Wilson uses them live, and I must be honest - his guitar tone is better on record (he uses all computer program modelers in the studio). Not a very good selling point for Bad Cat, given their high price tag, but I'm sure you can sound good with them as with any other product.

Bad Cat amps are organic sounding and digital amps sound like digital.

Bad Cat Hot Cat 30 watter.

inside.jpg

tube.jpg

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

@visconti

Marketing terms only, dude. Which actually sounds better? If you're Steven Wilson, 0001000101010 beats glass tubes. Listen to the records, live and studio, or go to the show to find out.

Not to my ears. Analog sounds 3D with all of the wonderful overtones. Digital sounds 2D with a blanket over the speaker.

• Members

I tried one because I have a couple Sampson era Matchless amps that I really like. I liked the Bad Cat amps and they sounded great, but I didn't really need all of the gain that they had on tap.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one but BEWARE they have a low end Asian made model(s?) out there as well.

• Members

Hey kayd_mon, if you hasve a digital amps that's great. I owned a Line 6 Vetta and loved all of the flexibility to get cool sounds with effects, but the recorded tone just didn't work out for me.

I have heard played thru the Kemper Amplifier and the Axe-FX II, but I would rather have a Longhorn TexasTru-Tone amp and my pedal board.

• Members

@visconti

I use digital sometimes, but I also prefer analog (check sig, if it's still there). I was just saying that the only Bad Cats I've heard and known about it are Steven Wilson's, and I prefer his guitar tone through whatever program he uses on the computer. Obviously he likes Bad Cat, and his live tone is fine,but I'm just saying which sounds better in regards to Bad Cat.

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

@visconti

I use digital sometimes, but I also prefer analog (check sig, if it's still there). I was just saying that the only Bad Cats I've heard and known about it are Steven Wilson's, and I prefer his guitar tone through whatever program he uses on the computer. Obviously he likes Bad Cat, and his live tone is fine,but I'm just saying which sounds better in regards to Bad Cat.

Which Bad Cat? They make like 25 different amps with all kinds of different power tubes.You can get amps from 5 watts to 100 watts. Some of their amps stay very clean, inbetween and high gain. They are all made out of excellent quality parts.

• Members

I don't know which model. You can just see the Bad Cat badge on the backline, and I remember reading an interview with Wilson where he says - and I'll paraphrase - that he likes Bad Cat amps for live use, but he doesn't fetishize gear, he just uses what sounds best. His mindset is one of a composer and a producer, so tjis philosophy makes sense.

Archived