A Tale of Two Teles

Hush

• Members

Chandler and Neville

It all started with an ad in Craigslist for a stripped Chandler Telepathic Thinline. The seller had started refinishing but lost interest. He posted it on CL for $60. Unfortuanately I don't have pics of the before. I didn't do anything with the body for 2 years. I finally decided it was time to start the project back in May and found a Squire neck to put on it. 

As I started looking into refinishing, I realized I didn't really  have a good place to spray and would probably do a crappy job.  It was a really nice mahogany body and I didn't want to ruin it, so took it to Rowyco, a local guy who does excelent work. 

Chandler body

Since I was doing it right with a nice custom finish I couldn't put a cheap Squire neck on it so I ordered a mahogany neck with Stainless frets from Warmoth.

Warmoth Neck

I now had and extra neck. Instead of just selling it, I tried to find a cheap body on ebay to go with it. I won an auction for $86 for another Tele body. Turns out that this body was special, it was made by Jeff Neville. A builder who's been getting some attention from the Nashville guys. We'll I couldn't put the Squire neck on that body. I contacted Jeff to see if he had any necks available and he did. 

Neville Body neville neck

What started out as something that was going to be a cheap project turned into two fantastic Teles. I also learned that though I can do some of the work I wanted it done well and I just didn't have the skills to do it right. So all the money I thought I was going to save never happened because I brought the guitars for final build and setup to Guru Guitars. They did an excellent job.

Here's the Chandler.

Chandler Front

chandler back

Spertzel Tuners, Babicz bridge, Joe Barden Danny Gattons,

Neck plate

The Neville, Maple top and back with Ash in the middle. Hipshot bridge with compensated saddles. Kluson tuners Dimarzio Area T neck and Area T 615 bridge.

Neville angle   neville back

Neville Front Close   Neville Head

Neville neck back   Neville neck front

• 1 year later...
  • Members

An update...

I was unsatisfied with the finish of the Neville. Actually numerous people commented on the orange peel of the finish. I was worried about resale. Luckily Jack Briggs of Briggs Guitars is local. I dropped the body off a couple of weeks ago. Here are some in progress picture Jack just sent me. A few more rounds of clear coat to go.

32a9f0b1f83280c7cbeb1a7b8ccedc90.jpg.081bbecdbf787c42c4a435e929178c23.jpg

dc2a7e4605226f747c6d56fa7de7572f.jpg.7c6d7fb7fdb2bdd9a4c98b95c6dbd2bf.jpg

097fb9fa93830c93ad70b1e89035cb46.jpg.7caf37845d671206c61e0a682e565909.jpg

• Members

Yeah the pictures didn't really capture the issue, but up close the finish didn't look up to the quality you would expect from what Neville is producing. Jeff did not do the original finish. With the new finish It'll have the double binding look I like.

Archived