What other decent guitar brands exist besides Gibson and Fender?

danuniversal

• Members

What other decent guitar brands exist besides Gibson and Fender (and their cheaper versions Epiphone and Squier)?

It might be a weird question to do, but as most of the things usually seen are these guitar brands or attempts from X brands to imitate their models, one really does not note the other brands.

I want to know about brands that produce decent guitars, capable of decent Rock & Roll and playability, and visually nice models, that at least try to do something else than be equal to a Gibson or Fender.

• Members

PRS? Except their standard shape is really a carved top Strat or a sleeker LP...

Gretsch? Classic just like Gibson and Fender, around just as long.

Rickenbacker? Nothing at all like Gibson and Fender, and very classic as well.

Parker? Clearly trying to innovate passed the traditional models. The ones I've encountered have been great.

Taylor? Their electrics are also meant to be a bit different, and they are of the same good quality you'd expect from the brand.

• Members

PRS comes immediately to mind.  They have become pretty iconic. (full disclosure though: I just bought one)

Reverend. They are doing their own thing and doing it very well. 

Lots of other "decent" guitars depending on what you are looking for:  Ibanez, Yamaha, Guild, Gretsch just to name a few.

• Members

I'm not sure that you can draw much of a conclusion from a brand name alone.  Most companies are making guitars all over the world, frequently farming the work out to non-affiliated factories.  For example, Ibanez guitars are made in Japan, Korea, China, and Indonesia.  I don't know if Ibanez even owns the factory in Japan, I think everything is made by an unrelated manufacturer.

So, you have a situation where many brands of guitars can be made in the same overseas factory.  Sure, they may be differences in QC and specifications (which can be significant), but overall I think a lot of the brands are making very similar products.

Of course, this doesn't apply to USA PRS, or Gibson (because they own and operate their own manufacturing).

• Members

But Slash plays a Gibsin an dat mus meen dayr da best.

Ok in all seriousness I say the best company is kind of subjective as companies offer different kinds of guitars for different kinds of styles.

I personally could suggest MIJ Yamaha's and you can try one and hate it but of we all liked the same thing and had the same opinions then the world would be just a boring tea party and is having chats about the weather

• Members

danuniversal wrote:

What other decent guitar brands exist besides Gibson and Fender (and their cheaper versions Epiphone and Squier)?

It might be a weird question to do, but as most of the things usually seen are these guitar brands or attempts from X brands to imitate their models, one really does not note the other brands.

I want to know about brands that produce decent guitars, capable of decent Rock & Roll and playability, and visually nice models, that at least try to do something else than be equal to a Gibson or Fender.

Forgive me but with over 2600 posts and not to know of other good brands is pretty naive.

• Members

Paul Reed Smith guitars, with their coil splitting and out of phase options, as well as typical humbucker tones, offer a unique take. Their quality control is second to none. I have a '91 Artist, that I recently replaced the pickups on with Wolfetone Dr. Vintage buckers. The stock pickups were great but I'm not a metal guy, I go for a paf vibe and the guitar really sings sweetly with the Wolfetones. I've heard people say PRS are somewhere in- between a Strat and a Les Paul. A lot of people don't care for the PRS pickups ( mine felt too "modern", not enough of a "juiciness" vibe for my Blues, Blues/Rock leanings) although they are offering vintage paf types now. The quality of the wood and hardware, coupled with impeccable workmanship ( it's always intonated spot on and notes just bloom out of it) and the pickup swap, make mine a noteworthy part of my collection. I thought of selling it before the swap. Now..... no way.

Archived