Should flood posting = banhammer

knotty

• Moderators

Visconto is spamming no one product, he is from where I see standing up for the small builder, and as far as I know I don't think he is benefitting from any of the posting, but if anybody can prove otherwise we can temp or perma ban him.

Now as to his personality, I am not in a position to make a comment

• Members

Definitely borderline.  You'd like to factor in motivation, but no way to assess that.

Out-and-out SPAM usually has a particular item, a price, and a link for immediate purchase.  These floods aren't that.  They fall somewhere between GOTD threads (which I generally enjoy) and ads for boutique guitar manufacturers.

At base I don't care for them, but I'm not really bothered by them either.  I know what I'm getting when I see the name, so I can easily engage or avoid depending on my mood.

Not banworthy, in my book.  Kinda sad, more than anything else.

• Members

Ratae Corieltauvorum wrote:

Visconto is spamming no one product, he is from where I see standing up for the small builder, and as far as I know I don't think he is benefitting from any of the posting, but if anybody can prove otherwise we can temp or perma ban him.

Now as to his personality, I am not in a position to make a comment

Yes you are probably right as far as hamsterman is concerned.

There must be a line though, somewhere between posting the odd picture to auto - flood posting.  I mean I could set up my pc to auto post the whole fender calalogue repeatedly. This would probably constitute a 'denial of service' attack and I would be banned. I just wondered where that line was.

• Members

knotty wrote:

Is flood posting adverts for guitar manufacturers against HCEG rules?

If I posted continuous adverts for selected products isn't that spam.?

If so why does Visconti get away with it?

What should be banned is constant attacks on others.

• Members

Visconti wrote:

knotty wrote:

Is flood posting adverts for guitar manufacturers against HCEG rules?

If I posted continuous adverts for selected products isn't that spam.?

If so why does Visconti get away with it?

What should be banned is constant attacks on others.

yeah good luck with that. If they ban everyone who attacks you then you will be the only one here.

And I am not attacking you, just letting people know some of your history, to expose your lies.

• Members

I think he's an over-eager fan of custom builders.

I also think he's trolling, too. He knows he riles people up, and he often responds in a way that's simultaneously clueless, humorous, and stirs the pot. Has to be purposeful.

I do click on the threads, because I like pics of guitars. I don't always like the ones he posts, but I usually comment either way. And sometimes I pick at him a bit, because I'm convinced he's just trolling.

• Members

koiwoi wrote:

School must have been fun...

I say just ignore if it's bothering you. I do suspect that he has a hidden agenda, possibly retailing expensive gear, but could just be a zealot.

He does not bother me. I have seen much more interesting members get banned but this guy trolls from forum to forum on here and they dont mind. Thats the bit I dont understand. I am sure he drives away more posts than even he makes.

But I suppose any traffic is welcome on here. I beleive thats behind the first post zombie threads as well. Anything to stimulate traffic, whatever the content or intent. A bit surprised they bothered stopping people selling kitchens.

Oh well, it is what it is.

• Members

While I might think the guy is a complete moron, and frankly one ofv the least articulate, or intelligent, or capable of putting together a cohesive thought,  I don't think he has done anything ban worthy and although there have been a number of posts supporting small and expensive builders, I don't think it even remotely approaches any volume I would consider "flooding".

Now if stupid happened to be against forum rules,  then we would have a very serious serial criminal in our midst.

• Members

When I lived in Vegas, we had a house that was larger than what we had been in before, and so went furniture shopping.  In hindsight this seems obvious, but at the time I was amused and surprised to find that the big "Furniture Warehouse Store" we visited was chock a block full of high end coke dealer decor.

Well made loveseats - with zebra upholstery.

Driftwood-and-smoked-glass coffee tables.

Bondage-special bed frames (hey, man, if I'm that into it, I'll just buy a custom made use-specific piece).

Faux-slate TV consoles.

I turned to my lady and said "I guess this is what passes for sophistication around here" (we did find Ethan Allen later that day, in fairness to Vegas).  Every time I read one of Visconti's posts, I think of that place.  He also really reminds me of Phillip Seymour Hoffman's character in Boogie Nights. 

Archived