You want noiseless, use a dummy coil dummy.

billybilly

• Members

I know many single coil players like noiseless pickups, however, don't limit yourselves to what's available from a manufacturers point of view, employ a dummy coil.  Here's a simple diagram, explanation and link.

Dummy Coil Diagram Series.jpg

Using stock 250k Pots.

Dummy coil is a Old Plastic Bobbin Fender Japan pup with magnets removed.

Bottom Tone Pot is wired to Roll of Treble on just the Bridge Pup, personel preference.

I Could have wired it as a Master Tone for all pups but I often ride on the Bridge pup at a gig with the Tone on 8.

I never need to roll off tone on the Neck and Middle pup so...

Stock pups are about 6k and the Dummy Coil is about 6k. If you measure at the output jack you'll measure 6k.

Roll back the Middle pot and the resistance will increase up to 12k and the Hum just goes away, AWESOME !

I must note with this setup I noticed there was a considerable amount of hum still until I flipped the dummy coil.

I imagine that I could have just flipped the Dummy coil wires on the Middle pot to achieve the same result.

Such a useful MOD especially for guys that love there stock vintage Pups but need to take away the Hum when needed.

from..http://www.fenderforum.com/userphotos/index.html?recid=50706

• Members

Problem with noise cancellation would be precisely identifying, seperating, and then csncelling exactly which part of the signal is "noise" without also destroying any part of the signal that would be consideted "tone*.

It would be like trying to cancel out the "annoying" part of a human voice without harming the pleasent part oit. I

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

Bose? Oh my god. Can you imagine how expensive it would be?

You could watch the commercial on TV and be all proud you had one on your board. ?

The noise thing, you sample the noise floor and the noise of course and then the thing just works on that. Hiss isn't too much of an issue but I believe hums and line artifacts could be diminished effectively

Archived