Tell me how to turn a Epi into a Gibson

Visconti

• Members

Explain it to me.

This will be fun.

Tell what pro guitar players have taken an Epi and turnes it into a Gibson.

BTW, you can't say The Beatles because those Epi's were pro guitars and you can't say the Gibson Custom Shop Epi's.

Show to us how you turn a $500 Epi into a $2,500 Gibson.

• Members

Regardless of what mods one can do to an Epi, it will never have the intangible "feel" or "mojo" of a Gibson. It may come within 85%  ,depending on the model, but Gibson's reputation and history is undeniable. Do they have some quality control issues? Absolutely. Are they over-priced? Depends on what your ears hear and how deep your pockets are.

• Members

Well, I play my Gibson Les Paul much more than my Epiphone, mostly due to the neck profile. My Epiphone Les Paul, with Duncan pickups, sounds pretty fantastic. The action is certainly as good as my Gibsons, though the overall feel is different due to the neck carve and probably the frets. Love those flat Gibson frets.

• Members

I don't try to necessarily Gibify them. I just get one to do mods I'd be more comfortable doing it on an Epi than a Gibson as the idea of routing on a Gibby would make it stressful as if I mess up....... You know. But on an Epi I owned I had a preamp and all those other electronic do dads on it which was fun for a modding platform

• Members

I must have been lucky, my 2007 Epiphone Les Paul Custom resonates just a hair better than my 1974 Gibson Les Paul Custom.

I put on a Schaller tail piece with fine tuners and a Dragon Fire vintage Alnico 5 Goldbucker in the bridge of my Epi and that guitar burns better than the Gib with a Dimarzio Evolution and a Seymour Duncan Screamin' Demon.

• Members

Visconti wrote:

Explain it to me.

This will be fun.

Tell what pro guitar players have taken an Epi and turnes it into a Gibson.

BTW, you can't say The Beatles because those Epi's were pro guitars and you can't say the Gibson Custom Shop Epi's.

Show to us how you turn a $500 Epi into a $2,500 Gibson.

Buy at a discount, sell at a markup and repeat until you have enough to buy the Gibson.

I had 3 Midtown P90s that I bought when they were being blown out with intention of selling 2 and keeping one and selling my Epi 339. There were build flaws which each of the Gibsons and in the end I sold them all off (at a profit) and keep the Epi. This is not to say there are issues with all Gibsons nor that Gibsons are bad guitars, and my Epi is far from flawless as well. But my Epi cost half of the Gibson blowout cost

Archived